Favourite Military Historical Quotes

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Guest Fred Karno's Army

A few of my favourite military historical quotes.

Whats yours :)

"How horrible, fantastic, incredible it is, that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas-masks here, because of a quarrel in a faraway country between people of whom we know nothing...

However much we may sympathise with a small nation confronted by a big and powerful neighbour, we cannot in all circumstances undertake to involve the whole British Empire in war simply on her account. If we have to fight, it must be on larger issues than that. I am myself a man of peace to the depths of my soul; armed conflict between nations is a nightmare to me... War is a fearful thing, and we must be very clear before we embark on it, that it is really the great issues that are at stake."

Neville Chamberlain

Are you aware it is private property? Why you'll be asking be  to bomb Essen next.

— British Secretary of State for Air Sir Kingsley Wood, regards plans to bomb the Black forest, 30 September 1939

"Wenn auch nur ein englischer Bomber die Ruhr erreicht, will ich nicht mehr Hermann Göring, sondern Hermann Meier heißen." This translates literally as "If also only one British bomber reaches the Ruhr, I don't want to be called Hermann Göring any more, but rather Hermann Meier.

Herman Goring

What General Weygand called the Battle of France is over. I expect the Battle of Britain is about to begin . . Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, "This was their finest hour."

— Prime Minster Winston Churchill, 18 June 1940.

The conviction of the justification of using even the most brutal weapons is always dependent on the presence of a fanatical belief in the necessity of the victory of a revolutionary new order on this globe.

— Adolf Hitler, 

“You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have
striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The 
hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. 
In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on
other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war
machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of
Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well
equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of
1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats,
in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their
strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home
Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions
of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men.
The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to
Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in
battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory! 

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great
and noble undertaking.” 
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

There are a lot of people who say that bombing cannot win the war. My reply to that is that it has never been tried… and we shall see.

— Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Arthur "Bomber" Harris, 1942

Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."
Soviet infantry manual, issued in the 1930's

The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
- from a post-war debriefing of a German General

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

I think one of the best quotes but also the most double edged is "It will be long and hard and there will be no withdrawal"  Winston Churchill 1939

• Upvote 1

Henry William Paget, 1st Marquess of Angleseyknown as Lord Uxbridge at the time of Waterloo when he was hit by French cannon fire he said to Wellington:

"By God, sir, I've lost my leg!" — to which Wellington replied, "By God, sir, so you have!"

Classic British understatement I think!

Edited by Jerry B
  • Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army
On 17 February 2016 at 15:24, Jerry B said:

Henry William Paget, 1st Marquess of Angleseyknown as Lord Uxbridge at the time of Waterloo when he was hit by French cannon fire he said to Wellington:

"By God, sir, I've lost my leg!" — to which Wellington replied, "By God, sir, so you have!"

Classic British understatement I think!

Lol,I remember this well we have just come back from a week on Anglesey and I regailed the wife of this as we passed his monument by the straits :D

"Have no fear Sergeant, I've sent Major Reno to attack the second echelon."

George Armstrong Custer, June 25, 1876

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine...
- From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

• 2 weeks later...

mine is NUTS!------One week into this historic BATTLE OF THE BULGE, commanding officer General
Anthony McAuliffe was approached by Colonel Harper with a note from
Germany's command asking for an ``honorable surrender'' by American
forces. When General McAuliffe was read the note, he laughed and
exclaimed, ``Us surrender? Aw, nuts!'' He then realized that a reply
was in order, and began to ask his staff what he should say. Lieutenant
General Harry Kinnard spoke up, saying ``That first remark of yours
would be hard to beat.'' ``What do you mean?'' asked McAuliffe. ``Sir,
you said `Nuts'.'' replied the Lieutenant General. And that was the
answer that McAuliffe gave back to the Germans; was NUTS!

• 2 months later...
Guest Fred Karno's Army

Just came across this one lol :D

As the test pilot climbs out of the experimental aircraft, having torn off the wings and tail in the crash landing, the crash truck arrives, the rescuer sees a bloodied pilot and asks, "What happened?" The pilot's reply: "I don't know, I just got here myself!"
- Attributed to Lockheed test pilot Ray Crandell

Now you have to think Aussie here....

Scene- The Trenches, WW1........Bombardment overhead......troops moving up to the front......some of them Australian replacements.

They reach the front line......a Posh British Officer shouts to one of them " HAVE YOU COME HERE TO DIE "............(THINK AUSSIE ACCENT)...........the young Australian Soldier hesitates for a minute then says ..........................." NAWE, WE GOT HERE YESTER-DIE " ......:D

• Upvote 1

It might not be Historic, or famous, but to me its priceless, "Walking along a road in France, to be evacuated,a young squaddie said to my dad " Sarge, I,m fed up with all this retreating lark" Dad replied "We,re not retreating son, We,re getting the F*^k out of here before we get our Bo***ks shot off." the old man was never one to mince his words>

• Upvote 3

Another funny but true quote, Winston Churchill was attending some function or other. A very prim and proper woman spoke to him in a very snotty manner, "Mr Churchill, YOUR DRUNK", He replied "Yes madam, and you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober"

• Upvote 3

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist...." General John Sedgwick, Last Words

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. " - George S Patton