No 36M - Making replicas!

Steve T

After more than 20 years of searching for, recovering and preserving ground dug WW2 relics, there is something I’ve always wanted to try but never quite got round to it. Well, I now HAVE got round to it!

I ordered a silicone moulding kit, (Polycraft GP-3481F RTV Silicone Mould Making Rubber kit), and made a mould from a No. 36M grenade. I took off the pin and striker arm, as well as the base plug, then sealed up the holes, (the 36M I used was a drilled practice version), with masking tape. I found a container in which it would fit nicely, mixed the stuff and poured it in!

A very nervous 12 hours followed, where I had visions of me having to pick silicone rubber out of my lovely No 36M for weeks on end. I got the mould out of the container and cut 1/3rd of the way down it to free the grenade. A quick wiggle and a tug and the grenade came free. IT WORKED!! I had a lovely silicone rubber mould of a No 36M!

So, I then tried casting my first replica with Plaster of Paris. I used a rubber band to hold the mould together where I had cut it. Another nervous period of 2 hours passed, and I then decided to see if the mould had worked and the replica could be retrieved from it. A bit of jiggling and out came a perfect casting of my grenade.

VERY PLEASED!!

So pleased in fact, I cast two more. I will now leave them to dry for a few days in the airing cupboard, tidy up the imperfections in the casting and then paint them up. I will also drill the striker column hole and fit a relic 36M base plug. I’ll post more pics once complete.

The original No 36M from which I made the mould

DSC08397.JPG

The mould empty and then full of plaster of paris.

DSC08402.JPG

DSC08401.JPG

DSC08400.JPG

First one cast........

DSC08404.JPG

....and then another,.......

DSC08398.JPG

and another...... :):):)

DSC08405.JPG

Looking forward to showing you the completed articles :)

Steve T

• Upvote 3

Thanks H&J. Wait until I've painted them up etc! :):)

Guest Fred Karno's Army

You should have a go at a sectioned one Steve,I am sure there would be calls for them,they sell similar on Evilbay for £40 o.O.Just as a gap filler for displaying for tight buggers like me ;).

That would involve a whole different world of moulding though H&J, and not one I am about to take............but thanks for the suggestion :)

• Upvote 1

HELP !!!!!!!! I can't stop making them!!!! I need to join Replica Grenades Anonymous or something..................

DSC08406.JPG

DSC08407.JPG

• Upvote 2

Stop making male and female ones then, then they wont multiply when your backs turned!!!!!!

This is what happens when you feed them after midnight... 

• Upvote 1

After making the mould and casting some replica No 36M grenades, I have now 'test' painted a couple to get my colours and washes right. I've done a practice white one, and a 'steel' one. Original cast shown also for comparison. The striker column is a short bit of dowel cut to size and shaped. The spoon was more difficult and I tried various methods before settling on the one I'm using. A mould cast out of air dry clay, and the same clay used to fill the mould, with a paper-clip bent into the right shape to give structural support. I think they are coming out ok.

Oh, and I am using original base plugs :) Ground dug and cleaned up. I have around 100 so I can spare 10 to add a bit of cudos to my replicas :)

What do you reckon?

The 'spoon' moulds, original and clay replica.

DSC08612.JPG

DSC08608.JPG

DSC08609.JPG

DSC08610.JPG

• Upvote 3

They look great but I think your dowels are a bit too long, you can solve this by deepening the spoon grooves slightly, and shaving the dowels down so they just stick  up above the spoon shoulders by a few mm, the spoon would then be at the correct height so it fits into the striker about  5mm from the top, but apart from that they are very well done

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dave. I am having issues with the dowels, in that if I cut them down to the correct length, they invariably break along the grain lines, leaving me with a stump. Hence why they are slightly longer than they should be :) Oh, and deepening the spoon grooves only partially solves the issue. I have tried that already :)

What do you reckon so far @Ham & Jam @HetzersGonnaHetz @Manu Della Valle @Waffenamt ?

@Steve T For starters thank you so much for asking my opinion!I agree with Dave who knows M36s much better than I do but they look absolutely great nonetheless!I've worked with polyurethane resin for my models and I'd suggest you,if I may,to make a mold with RTV rubber and cast them in resin..it won't chip and you can make quite a few with them with a single mold!PU resin gets hot while curing but since there are no tiny details to worry about  the results will remain unchanged for quite a few copies!

Cheers

Manu

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Manu :) I will be trying resin at some point in the future :)

Thats a good idea from Manu, or you could try using the same casting clay, it dries rock hard and can still be tooled and as theres no spring to the spoon you should,nt have a problem

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I think you've done a bloody good job to be honest ;),how robust are they @Steve T  I don't mean for throwing lol,it would be good if reasonable priced reproduction levers were available I think with one of those and the dowel problem solving they would be spot on museum quality.

Very impressed mate,well done !.:D

:grenade:

@Steve T They look great pal, if you ever do a display of a grenade wielding partisan they would look the part. Quality Replicas!

Thanks H&J. Replica No 36 spoons are £5, which is too steep for these replicas, hence why I made them myself. The clay block cost me £3 and will make about 50 :)

They are looking the dogs gilhooleys, and you aint far off at all with the shelac coating, especially the middle one, have you tried adding some white spirit to the mix, it will give a slightly Matt finish as though they are aged

The painting is soo good mate, could easily make an experienced collector have to take a few looks to realise it's not pukka. Great!

• Major General

These are fantastic, consider me in the market for a couple as I've no originals.