No 36M - Making replicas!

Steve T

11 hours ago, Davejb said:

They are looking the dogs gilhooleys, and you aint far off at all with the shelac coating, especially the middle one, have you tried adding some white spirit to the mix, it will give a slightly Matt finish as though they are aged

I am going to use a Humbrol satin cote Dave, see how that works first.

11 hours ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

The painting is soo good mate, could easily make an experienced collector have to take a few looks to realise it's not pukka. Great!

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Well @Steve T as these have turned out so well onto your next project No 5 ones please,no rush ;) lol.

To be perfectly honest I would gladly pay £5 for a repro lever because then with your finish which is the dogs ;),you would be hard pressed to tell them visually apart in my opinion.

Well done fella ! :D

What do you reckon @jeeeensy ? I know you're a stick grenade freak but you might appreciate these as well :)

OK, I know that some of you will sympathise with me when I tell you what happened last night, and all because of Steve T, Because I was trying to help him with the sizes of the striker for his bloody grenades, I was about to put my 36 away and dropped it, right on my foot, and all i had on my feet were socks, so now I am hobbling about with two very swollen toes on my right foot and an appointment with my Doctor on Thursday to see if they are broken.That man causes me no end of trouble and misery, he,d better keep one of those grenades for me or else

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Have you had an accident lately ?,was it your fault ?

Yes,and yes on both counts lol :D,

Can I claim ?

Errr no lol,you should always be wearing appropriate footwear for the task in hand.I mean who handles grenades in bare feet ?...

Are we in Somalia O.o:D

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Have you had an accident lately ?,was it your fault ?

Yes,and yes on both counts lol :D,

Can I claim ?

Errr no lol,you should always be wearing appropriate footwear for the task in hand.I mean who handles grenades in bare feet ?...

Are we in Somalia O.o:D

Ok it was funny the first time, no need to rub it in by posting twice lool

Don't listen to him @Ham & Jam. He once arrived at a dig and began walking towards me, (I was already 5 feet down and digging like a man possessed). 

'Hey Dave! There's a hole in front of you Dave, be careful'

'Yes yes, I see it'

A few steps later.....

'Dave......mind that hole!'

'I SEE IT!'

A few steps later....(muffled cries and heavy thuds)

'Dave? You want a hand out of that hole?'

'**** off!'

:):):) 

19 hours ago, Steve T said:

What do you reckon @jeeeensy ? I know you're a stick grenade freak but you might appreciate these as well :)

wow  they've turned out great,, well done.. like the shellac finished one,, got my vote all day long,,

Yes I like the two on the right, looks more like my one that has an original coating.  Now on the subject of holes.......Who dug those holes???. Who,s always digging ruddy great holes deeper that anyone else??Who under cuts their holes so when you think you,re on solid ground, your actually standing above Tom, Dick or Harry and then the ground gives way and you,re in a scene from the Great Escape, you ,you mad tunnel rat assassin .... and that still does,nt alter the fact I,ve got two throbbing flat looking toes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!all because of you,,,, my 36 was perfectly happy sitting on my shelf until you started delving into the realms of moulding , I bet you even had music on and copying that scene from GHOST!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I'm with @Ham & Jam on this one,  the two that are one in from each end. 

@Davejb keep this up mate and the government will have us wearing P.P.E to handle militaria :(

2 minutes ago, Mav352 said:

@Davejb keep this up mate and the government will have us wearing P.P.E to handle militaria :(

Do 'Tena Male (extra large)' count as PPE @Mav352 ? If so, Dave's already covered, in more ways than one.....

• Upvote 1

All done :) Finished :) Very VERY pleased with how they've all turned out. 10 replica No 36M grenades......... Silicone rubber mould made using one of my original grenades, ten plaster of paris replicas cast, all ten now painted. All have original base plugs. The striker column is a piece of wooden dowel cut to size/shape, the spoon is air dry clay, (formed in a mould made from the same clay and an original spoon), ring and split pin from the hardware shop :):)

Finally got the shellac coating right on the one with the green line around the middle and the X's on the second row down. Found a picture of this type in 'Weapons of the WW2 Tommy'. :):) 

So......which one(s) do you like best? :):)

@Ham & Jam @Lenny @Davejb @HetzersGonnaHetz @jeeeensy @Manu Della Valle @BenVK @Mav352 

A reminder of how they started out.....

1.JPG

And what they look like now in my War Room :)

2.JPG

First batch, 3 with nearly all shellac and paint worn off, down to bare metal, (painted 'steel' then wash applied of varying colours to match rust or shellac)

DSC08617.JPG

DSC08618.JPG

Second batch, all practice. First two painted 'steel' then white applied all over and quickly rubbed off with kitchen roll before it dried. Last one painted solid white then wash applied.

DSC08619.JPG

DSC08620.JPG

Last batch. First three painted 'steel' and then varying wash applied, (first one is the best I think.....wash allows steel to show through). Last one in gloss black, wash applied to age.

DSC08625.JPG

DSC08626.JPG

:):):)

• Upvote 1

The 3 steel ones and the 3 green stripe ones are my favourites, so which one do I get for my pain and suffering

26 minutes ago, Davejb said:

The 3 steel ones and the 3 green stripe ones are my favourites, so which one do I get for my pain and suffering

An unpainted one. It'll give you something to do whilst your toes get better.

I have to say I do like the steel ones, but I think my favorite is the last one I did........green stripe near the bottom, 3 big red Xs. :)  (because the shellac coat works really well.....the pic doesn't do it justice :) )