No 36M - Making replicas!

Steve T

I would also try the Humbrol satin coat varnish over a steel painted one, its a see through coat and two coats of that will give a very nice hard wearing effect

I ve just thought of a novel idea, make three or four 36s , paint them up, drill large bore holes down the centre, install a lamp shade metal shaft with light socket and run lighting wires up through it, add a lamp base and you have a pretty unique bedside lamp

41 minutes ago, Davejb said:

I ve just thought of a novel idea, make three or four 36s , paint them up, drill large bore holes down the centre, install a lamp shade metal shaft with light socket and run lighting wires up through it, add a lamp base and you have a pretty unique bedside lamp

That actually isn't a bad idea. :)

1 hour ago, Davejb said:

I would also try the Humbrol satin coat varnish over a steel painted one, its a see through coat and two coats of that will give a very nice hard wearing effect

Already done, on all of them. Some have matt cote, most satin cote, the black one has gloss cote. 

• Major General

These all look fantastic...just the striker still looks too long.hope you don't mind an honest critique!

if it wasn't for that aspect alone, these at first glance would pass for the real thing.brilliant work.

Yeah......I know. It proved difficult to get them short enough without modifying the grenade itself, which I wasn't prepared to do. Some of them are better than others, and it's a minor issue that I was prepared to accept :):):)

In response to comments regarding the length of the striker column on these replicas, (and me not being overly pleased with the spoons), I have now 'upgraded' one of my replica No 36M grenades to test new replica parts. I have included a picture below of the original, with a wooden dowel for the striker column and air dry clay for the spoon. These have been removed and the wooden striker column replaced with a piece of aluminium 8mm rod. The slot was cut using a file, and the top rounded over with a bench grinder. The spoon was cut from a piece of 12mm wide, 2mm thick aluminium sheet/panel, then shaped using my bench grinder. The striker column is now the right length and profile, and the spoon sits far better. What do you think? @Lenny @Davejb @Ham & Jam @jeeeensy @Bil4338 @Manu Della Valle @Mav352 @HetzersGonnaHetz @PmMeYourCats

I will set to work on the other 9 replicas I made and do this to all of them :) I'll post pics when I've finished. :)

Original with wooden dowel for the column and air dry clay spoon.

DSC08630a.JPG

New improved version with aluminium rod and sheet......

DSC08629.JPG

DSC08630.JPG

They could fool me... But that isn't much to go buy as you could sell me a banana and make it out to be a stick grenade and I'd believe it xD

• Major General

That's the mutts nuts there, really brilliant replicas!:wow:

Thats the baby, paint them up and you could,nt tell the difference, they would fool anyone, to check it out, go take one into a cop station, plonk it on the front desk, pull the pin and RUN

Thanks guys :) Just got to make 9 more of the spoons, chop up the alu rod, yank out all the wooden 'strikers', replace them, touch up the paint job, and the job's done........... lol

• Upvote 1

Thanks @DAK D:)

Amazing what you can do with a bit of plaster of paris and some paint :D 

So which one am I getting then, seeing I,m your buddy, confidant, advisor, all round good guy and a damn fine person!!!!???

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Steve T said:

Thanks @DAK D:)

Amazing what you can do with a bit of plaster of paris and some paint :D 

It certainly is,, your makeup is looking a lot better nowdays:P

Just now, Davejb said:

It certainly is,, your makeup is looking a lot better nowdays:P

5 minutes ago, Davejb said:

So which one am I getting then, seeing I,m your buddy, confidant, advisor, all round good guy and a damn fine person!!!!???

After your last comment, none. :D

• Major General

....A fine bromance, with no kisses...o.O...

a fine bromance, my friend this is....:D

• Upvote 2