Repro helmets

Lenny

• Field Marshall

Ok I get it, re-eanactors need kit, but why do they feel the need to "...for added authenticity we stamped a German wartime four-digit code at nape and ET-68 over ear."

That really pisses me off. They should be forced by law to stamp REPRO or even just leave off the stamps. A re-enactor doesn't need  accurate markings inside a helmet FFS. :(

http://www.ima-usa.com/german-wwii-m42-helmet-collector-grade.html

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 01.16.02.png

• Upvote 5

I agree with you Lenny. If they were that worried about authenticity they would use originals I did.

• Upvote 2

This is ridiculous , a fake is a fake and should,nt have any type of markings to say otherwise, theres no sense to it, apart from a legitimate way to commit a fraud, and I agree these type of repros should be marked as repros, it makes no difference to re-enactor groups, plus wheres it from, IMA, I bet that weasel of a son decided this

• Upvote 3

I have to say it again, this makes no sense, its a novelty, if anything. Looking at the close ups of the stamps, liner, Chinstrap and the chinstrap bales, which by the way are oblong and curved, the chinstrap is stamped as well, The liner has what looks like a flat shoelace acting as the string and the liners fingers appear long, the stamps are rough impressed and to be honest you can get a better looking replica from almost anywhere and ,the pins look like one half of a Smartie why anyone would want one of these, even for re-enacting puzzles me

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I must admit personally years ago when people asked me about wanting to start collecting German items I tend to try and steer them clear.Spend £500+ on reference books,discard 50% of what's been written as incorrect and then still have a very open mind and never buy an item for a story,like a friend of mine who bought from an arms dealer in the 90s a shrapnel ridden MG15 twin ammo drum that a guy had swam the Rhine with at Arnhem as a souvenir during the retreat 9_9.

I have no doubt in the past 20 years there are now good reference books out there,but in my opinion even if you want something like a helmet to be manufactured to exact specifications there is no problem in that.Just stamp it as such,personally 90% of my WW1 British collection is reproduction.Why ?....

Because when i collected as a youngster I had it all back then,but yes original  :D had been there gained the knowledge of what's wrong and what's right.But now my mannequins are worth probably £700-900 each compared too who knows now £4G plus :/ !. 

Reproductions are fine when marked as such and sold as such,otherwise as stated above its wrong and with the only thing in mind which is too deceive  >:(>:(>:(.

• Major General

Dunno how they think it's the best repro around....the split pins are too high and the cut out's at a different angle to an original too.don't even want to look at any other pics as I'm with the others here, plenty other repros around without IMAs crap to join them.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I think its very hard to recreate a form - considering the different makers repros try to be generic which is silly.

Shell ID chart.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

I purchased a replica Waffen-SS officer's crusher cap from IMA.  Nice for the price, and although an expert would know it is a reproduction, the inside crown has a message stating that it is an IMA Pakistani made replica. (In small print, but discernable).