Pegasus Bridge

Libertesoe

Now thats interesting, especially as I,m going back there later this month, with my own personal Para Historian, my best mate. We intend to go to all the obscure areas this time rather than the normal tourist sites, like the field where Wittmann died, possibly the little museum that a local farmer set up where Wittmanns foot plate from his Tiger is displayed, Falaise Gap, Brecore Manor, and a few others like Bayeux Cemetary, St Mare-Eglise again, Carantan.  Cannot wait for that film to come out in 2017

• Upvote 2

Guest Fred Karno's Army
8 hours ago, Libertesoe said:

New Film in the making

http://pegasusbridgethemovie.com

Described in some places as the British BOB........

Did you know about it @Ham & Jam  ?

I did @Libertesoe I was approached by Lance Nielson the director early last year as the costume/ wardrobe advisor.But my every deteriorating health and then a mini stroke paid toll to all that :(.

12 hours ago, Ham & Jam said:

I did @Libertesoe I was approached by Lance Nielson the director early last year as the costume/ wardrobe advisor.But my every deteriorating health and then a mini stroke paid toll to all that :(.

Sorry to hear that. The website looks very professional. Hopefully the final product will look just as good:P

• Field Marshall

Looks like it could be impressive... :)

I often go with Leger @Davejb and we drove past the field where Wittman met his maker. No-one knows exactly what got Wittman but I stand by the idea of a Firefly, most logical. We also drove past Brecourt Manor, went up to Mont Ormel, which I'm guessing you've been to but if not it is fantastic and when we visited Ste Mere Eglise, there a small restaurant facing the church with an Airborne Mannequin hanging form the ceiling. I love Normandy but I think me and my mum are off to the Arnhem area on our next tour after we've been to the Somme in the summer. I'm looking forward to Arnhem even more as I here there's lots of neat militaria in Holland. 

There are many places in the Somme areas to visit, and the whole area is scattered with cemetarys , some large ,others small and out of the way, mainly built on the land of battle, as for Arnhem and the militaria , you will be paying premium prices, so be careful.

Yes, I went to the Somme in 2014 and it's beautiful now, I loved the little museum at the Ulster Tower, and there was a huge museum in an old fort. 

If you can ,get to the Thiepval Monument, its massive, Hitler went there with his cronies during WW2, and at that time you could get to the top. Theres a story that one of his soldier guards carved a swastika into the brick work at the top, and Hitler had him transfered to a battlefield front. I,ll try to find out where another small cemetary is located where a British subject who had lived in the area since WW1 and worked as a groundsman to a lot of burial sites, was questioned by a high ranking German officer, in the SS, who passed the cemetary and stopped to visit, This Brit used to walk all over the area , so this SS man told him to report to the local Mayors office next morning, He thought he was to be imprisoned but instead was given a German Bike to do his rounds on. Little did the German know that this Brit was hiding British Airmen in the tool shed at the same cemetary he visited on that very day, that tool shed is still there, also two graves of two 16year old soldiers who were shot for desertion in WW1.  I,m pretty lucky as my pal is a WW1 historian and his researches have amassed to files and books everywhere in his house

Ive a mate lives in Ranville has been giving a hand with locations etc , looking forward to sinking a few cold ones with him in June

Yes I've been up to Thiepval, beautiful view, maybe second only to Pozieres ridge with the memorial to the RTC. I'm lucky enough to have been granted two tickets for me and my mum to go to the official Centenary service at Thiepval on the 1st.

ive still not got to the merville battery, which is pretty bad given I have a mate whos ex 9 para and jumped in on the day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, must go this year grrrrrrr

On 11/04/2016 at 02:36, Davejb said:

If you can ,get to the Thiepval Monument, its massive, Hitler went there with his cronies during WW2, and at that time you could get to the top. Theres a story that one of his soldier guards carved a swastika into the brick work at the top, and Hitler had him transfered to a battlefield front. I,ll try to find out where another small cemetary is located where a British subject who had lived in the area since WW1 and worked as a groundsman to a lot of burial sites, was questioned by a high ranking German officer, in the SS, who passed the cemetary and stopped to visit, This Brit used to walk all over the area , so this SS man told him to report to the local Mayors office next morning, He thought he was to be imprisoned but instead was given a German Bike to do his rounds on. Little did the German know that this Brit was hiding British Airmen in the tool shed at the same cemetary he visited on that very day, that tool shed is still there, also two graves of two 16year old soldiers who were shot for desertion in WW1.  I,m pretty lucky as my pal is a WW1 historian and his researches have amassed to files and books everywhere in his house

Here is an image of Thiepaval Memorial to the Missing...over 40, 000 Names of those Lost, Drowned, Blown Apart...Who were Never Found...Images Taken during a Memorial Service (Copryright ... www.edenbridgetown.com)

THEIPVAL...WINKS CHECK.jpg

On 4/11/2016 at 21:43, the colonel said:

ive still not got to the merville battery, which is pretty bad given I have a mate whos ex 9 para and jumped in on the day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, must go this year grrrrrrr

Whats your mates name , my mate used to go to their reunions and knew quite a few including Otway