Mauser Model 1871 Infantry Rifle.

DAK D

Hi All,

Here are some photos of my 1871 Mauser it's been through a lot since it was made in 1880, but I love it. These rifles were issued to reserve units in the German army in WW1 and many of these black powder rifles were smuggled into Ireland and used by the Irish Volunteers in the 1916 Rising.

This particular 1871 Mauser was manufactured at the Spandau Works!

Interestingly there are some notches cut into the butt-stock on this example.

D

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic Rifle @DAK D! I had a 1888 Mauser many years back. This one you have is beautiful!

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Lovely example in a condition that shows its seen something rather than an armoury wall for all its life,very nice mate. ;)

Thats a pretty impressive old firearm, still in good strippable condition and I would venture to say that those nicks in the butt could be a tally as to how many were "despatched" at one time or other

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ham & Jam said:

Lovely example in a condition that shows its seen something rather than an armoury wall for all its life,very nice mate. ;)

Hi @Ham & Jam,

Thanks.

I have a few old bolt action rifles including three Larne rifles that were smuggled into the North of Ireland by the UVF in 1914.

D

10 hours ago, Davejb said:

Thats a pretty impressive old firearm, still in good strippable condition and I would venture to say that those nicks in the butt could be a tally as to how many were "despatched" at one time or other

Hi @Davejb,

Thank you.

I love this old war horse :)

We will never know for certain when the notches were added, but it was not in recent times!

D

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Marc hun,

I hate auto correct too, but I knew you meant Larne anyway :D

I am working on it right now!

D

• Upvote 1