Michael Wittman Interview

Lenny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I dont know how many of you have been to Villers Bocage , but if you get a chance, go there but take a book on the Wittmann encounter with you, As you enter the town from the hill, you will be following the route taken by the British tanks and personnel carriers, you can then see which areas Wittmann took up firing from, it was a classic tank manouver , taking out the front lead and the rear tanks first causing a blockage of all those in between, then firing down the line destroying each vehicle in turn. Read about point 213 which is where most of the action took place, Although I agree that Wittmann was a very capable Tank Commander and had courage, there was very little that would take out a Tiger tank except a hit at the rear or a 6 pounder shell or a Sherman Firefly, all of which were either knocked out or unable to get into a good firing position until ;later when his tank was immobilised, Piats against a Tiger might as well have been shooting BBs at it. I think only one Cromwell tank managed to get at the rear of the Tiger but was knocked out when the Tiger reversed its turret

• Upvote 2