Researching the award.

Todd A. Raffensperger

As I have posted on Facebook, I just received these two medals in the mail, both were awarded to one Private James H. Quintin of the Worcestershire Regiment, serial number 20676.  

The only thing that I know is that he had been part of the "labor corps" for whatever that is supposed to mean.

One of the reasons why I purchased this is because I think it will be fun to try to find out as much about this man as I can.  But I don't know any great sources to go to for this, other than Ancestry.com.  

Can anyone make any suggestions?

DSCN0276.JPG

DSCN0278.JPG

Todd, I am a C.E.F. collector so British stuff is certainly not my forte. Other than Ancestry I don't know if there is any other avenue for research. I assume you have his MIC? 

If not it can be found and purchased at this link. There will not be much info on it IIRC. 

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_fn=James&_ln=+Quintin+&_no=&_crp=&_ttl=&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=WO+372&_dt=M&_col=200&_hb=tna

• Upvote 1

Todd, if you can wait a few days ,a pal of mine has records of every soldier who fought in WW1, and also who died, he researched all of these as he,s a historian and gained all this material due to his job as the Harrods WW1/2 Historian and had to check for members of Harrods who fought or died in both World Wars, I,ll ask him if he has any details or where you can obtain additional information

• Upvote 1

Heck yes, I can wait, Davejb!  Thank you for any help you can provide.

I might have miss typed the serial number.  But that has to be the man.

Ok Todd, I,ve spoken with my mate. He says the first thing to do is contact The Worcestershire Regiment Museum, (Google the address), try and contact the curator, give then as many details as you can, and see if they are holding any records. If this fails the only other way is through Kew Records Office here in London, they will have every piece of information concerning your man, but this is normally done by visiting Kew and you need large amounts of information to get anywhere. plus this would cost you quite a bit of money. The way around this is to hire a proper researcher who will know what to do ,who to speak to, and how to obtain all details, copy them, and send them on. If you have no joy with the museum ask them if they know of a researcher that will assist in getting the info from Kew, Believe it or not its actually cheaper to do this than visit yourself, he thinks the charge is about £90-100 for a researcher, but for that every scrap of details on this person will be forwarded, name , birth, Regt, service details , awards, home address, relatives at the time etc. I hope this helps. Ancestry is ok but very limited with details. Good luck with it 

Thank you for everything, Davejb.  And I WAS wrong with the serial number, DAK D.  It is indeed 20267.

• Upvote 1