Fake Demjansk shield

EA-Militaria.nl

Hi guys,

If you're interested in buying a Demjansk shield pay attention to the letter "J". The first shield you see on the pictures is pretty convincing, but it has the so-called Seriff "J". Which is bigger/fatter. Compare it with the one you see on the last picture. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Read this before about this shield.thanks for the reminder, all useful info.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,  hate to be a fly in the ointment so to speak but this is wrong,

On these shields you have a steel type shown without the Little bit added to the J and the Zinc type with the Little bit.

One person years ago wrote the book "Detecting the Fakes" and used one of Nick Morigi's copies showing this.demjanskSPEED.jpg

The Offending Copy

Ever since then, all these zinc shields seem to have been condemned. This was in the late 1990's when they were put down to Johannes Flok making them in the 1980's along with the WH infantry assault badges and WH WEIN Flak badges, as well as the L/21 iron crosses etc.

When research was done into several of these items, it was noted that he had copied several originals, such as the WH WEIN flak badge.

With regards to the Demjansk shield, a copy of this type is shown in the last Forman price guide and was accredited to Roger James Bender. This is the type with this J seraph and when I emailed him about this, he told me it came from a relative who bought it back at the end of the war, which pre-dated Johannes Flok by  several decades of  years. It also had  mentioned in his For Fuhrer and Fatherland book about the  Propeller being straight or curved, This goes hand in hand with the "J" font tpyes

Now the Book Referances

demjanskagain.jpg

Page from F&F                                                                      Page from Formans Price Guide note R Benders Name

demjanskagain1.jpg

It is also worth noting that some of the steel versions also have this J seraph to them and like several other war badges, when they ran out of certain metals, they probobly stamped them in a substitute metal .

steel demjansk.jpg

So this statement is only correct with this type of fake when it is of a white metal and not a zinc. as shown at the top of my bit.

Hope that clears this up about the Zinc Demjansk Shields, Oh and if anyone want to see the e mail i still have it

• Upvote 1