1941 Flak 2cm Round

PmMeYourCats

1940 dated projectile which makes me think it was made up from stock. Has remains of yellow paint amd white writing.

20160505_151949.jpg

20160505_152111.jpg

20160505_152147.jpg

20160505_152157.jpg

20160505_152124.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Field Marshall

What do you mean "made up from stock" ????

It's perfectly normal when this was originally made up, there could be a mismatch of a year from the projectile to the case.

Have you checked to make sure this is,nt a live round, the primer caps still in place, theres no band distortion that I can see and it looks very tight on the casing

• Upvote 3

Very carefully, I would first find out the original weight of a live one then weigh the one you have, compare them, See if the head is loose and if theres any play in the fit. But this is all fraught with danger, especially if it turns out to be live. If you have any doubt over ordnance of any description you should take it to the police or call Bomb Disposal, at least that way you wont be in for a lengthy period of questioning, if they found out themselves that you had live ordnance, your in for a hard time and prosecution, possibly under the Terrorism Act

• Upvote 3

The buyer has told me it was deac... 

Unfortunately many accidents have occurred for taking someones word that an item was safe, I would ask Steve T to have a look at this, and get his opinion. In the meantime please do not attempt to remove the head or leave it where it can fall over,roll off etc, and try not to stand it on its base. I hope I,m wrong but theres something about this one that gives me a very uneasy feeling. I think its best to be safer than sorry and Steve will be able to offer some firm advice

• Upvote 2

Thanks mate, really feel uneasy now. What should I do?

Wait till Steve has a look , he,ll more than likely ask some questions about it, but dont worry too much, lets see how he views it, as I say I might be wrong, Steve might see something I,m missing, He,s the go to guy when it comes to ordnance, its just when I see a base that appears its not been fired, it raises questions with me. Steve might have a completely different opinion. Just put it out of the way, where no-one can get to it,until he responds. If it is deactivated then you,ll have a very nice piece for display. But you should never take someones word that an item is 100% safe, especially when dealing with these shells. I would feel a little happier if there were holes drilled at the side of the casing, but thats just me.

Found out how it was inerted. The base was cut off around the groove and it was reattached after being emptied. The stuff I thought was corrosion is glue.

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Do you mean the primer ?,as I wasn't aware you could empty primers in that way ?.Not the first time I have been wrong though and won't be the last.........

:submarine:

It can't have been deact'd by cutting it across the groove. The flash holes for the primer are above the groove, so cutting it there would a) be damn stupid as the primer compound is highly sensitive and b) it would not allow you to access the body of the cartridge containing the main charge. Having thought about it, c) what fool would cut a cartridge THROUGH the propellent???

Still don't like this as an 'inert' cartridge. I'm changing the status of this thread until we can be sure.

• Upvote 6

Can you take close up pictures of where the seller says they cut the cartridge through please. I would advise that first you use a tough scourer, (one of those made of stainless steel ribbon), or a Brillo pad to remove the corrosion/glue around the cut line to expose the cut.

• Upvote 1

Bit jobby scared now.... 

20160505_151949.jpg.b58134324fbd63c846a129d0157b307f.jpg

Every single ground dug cartridge I recover has 'corrosion' in the same places as this cartridge. You need to clear away the stuff around the belt and rim. Best thing to use is a wire brush wheel on an electric drill. Alternatively, just use a wire brush or, as suggested above, a tough scourer.

There is a rattle coming from the case. Someone has put something inside it.

Marvellous!!! That's all we need to know :):)

Very nice INERT brass 20mm Solothurn with original projectile. :) 

Risk of closure lifted :)

• Upvote 2

Gave it a good shake and I heard a rattle. Must be something big since it doesn't have a lot of clearance.