KM 20mm Flak 30/38 round in carton

Manu Della Valle

The ones who collect ordnance won't consider this round something to write home about but I think it's interesting nonetheless!It comes from a stash found in a barn in Southern France in the late 90s.The owner of the barn,who accidentally is a very advanced collector of WW2 German Militaria found a stash of ammo in one of the old barns on his properties and duly called the local Gendarmerie.They came with a squad of French Army's Artificiers Demineurs who took the whole lot.A few days later a friend at the local police station came back with a surprise;the owner of the barn asked one of the Engineers if he could have a few 20mm deact rounds and this guy deacted THE WHOLE CRATE and a few more "loose" rounds!He tried as much as he possibly could not to damage the shells and cases,carefully deacted the fuses,fired the primers one by one (must have been quite "funny"!) BUT...threw away ALL the silk bags containing the propellant AND FORGOT the tracer compound at its place at the base of the rounds!It's the compound that was ignited by the burning powder and not WP as found on some Italian Breda 20mm  ammo,or else we'd have been in for some unwanted pyrotechnics...ask me how I know!:zonk:
What's interesting is the Kriegsmarine eagle on the "Sprenggrenade mit Rote Leuchtspur" (HE round with red tracer) and how the cardboard tube and the bakelite laquer the case had been coated with have passed the test of time inside a barn (not so the paint on the shell,though!),for as dry and well kept the latter may have been let's not forget that this was one of the "loose" rounds laying on the straw!^_^
Cheers
Manu

P5101329.JPG

P5101333.JPG

P5101334.JPG

P5101336.JPG

P5101337.JPG

P5101338.JPG

P5101339.JPG

P5101340.JPG

P5101341.JPG

P5101343.JPG

P5101345.JPG

P5101346.JPG

P5101347.JPG

P5101348.JPG

P5101349.JPG

P5101351.JPG

P5101353.JPG

P5101354.JPG

P5101355.JPG

P5101356.JPG

P5101358.JPG

• Upvote 4

• Major General

Great write up,nice item. :)

• Upvote 1

Thank you @Waffenamt...not as amusing a story as Dave's but still a funny one!Well...there's nothing funny in throwing away 100 beautifully stamped silk powder bags!¬¬
Cheers
Manu

Edited by Manu Della Valle

So glad you like that @Steve T !It's just an ordinari 20mm round but it comes with a provenance and a funny story!Every time I look at it I cannot help chuckling thinking about that bloke deacting primers!My friend has told me that the Sapeur left the empty cases in diesel fuel to soak the primers,dried them with compressed,put them in a vice and hit the primer cups "just in case"...the funny thing is that German primers are top notch and that the Berdan holes are so small,even in such a relatively large case, that the diesel fuel didn't get into many of them.hence many:Bang2:!:S
Can you imagine this guy with earmuffs and goggles deacting primers?I'm sure he knew what he was doing,being a member of a French Army EOD unit but he reminds me of Mr. Bean!xD