Any ideas on these Knuckle Dusters?

HetzersGonnaHetz

A fella on Facebook posted these and was wondering what year they were made. His dad fought in WW2 and his grandfather in WW1, so they both could've used it if it's dated from WW1. Any help appreciated. :D 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by HetzersGonnaHetz
  • Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Mine field stuff like that mate,and unsure how you stand with the law with them in the UK,personally I wouldn't bother.

I thought that most WW1 ,if not all had pointed knuckles, although these would knock the stuffing out of anyone, the idea was to cause a lot of damage to the face and body, and in effect to either permanently disable an enemy or kill them. Knuckledusters in the UK are a specified weapon, which makes them prohibited to own or sell. Get caught with them  and there is no defence, you will be prosecuted and if they are out in a public place, you risk going to prison for 6 months, first offence. I,m not 100% sure but I think they were banned after WW1, but there would have been troops who carried them in WW2, basically as a last resort weapon. If an enemy got that close and you had to use them in a fight then you were up S**t creek without a paddle.

• Upvote 2

Well said @Davejb !I can only add to that that some units,US and British alike,used "official" or "privately purchased" knuckledusters in WW2.The (rare!) M1917 and M1918 Knuckle Knives was made in great numbers during WW1 and production stopped when the War ended.Many of these knives survived and were stored and  used again in WW2!
A similar device is said to have been made in Britain and issued only for the D-Day landing..it was a spike bayo with knuckleduster but I've never seen originals..only modern copies!
Cheers
Manu

• Upvote 1

US M1917 Knuckle Knife with its peculiar blade:

Model1917_knuckle_duster.jpg

• Upvote 2

US M1918 Knuckle Knife with metal scabbard:

m1918 with metal scabard.JPG

• Upvote 1

There was an original "spike duster" on display at the Pegasus Museum at Ranville and another at one of the other smaller museums near to the Normandy beach

Modern replica of the WW2 "D-Day" British Knuckle Knife with  web scabbard

IMG_20140730_215352_631-Optimized.jpg

Yes I know about the law and so does the owner, I'm not interested at all but no one knows much about them on FB so I thought I'd help. Is it legal to own the WW1 trench fighting knives like the M1918?

Genuine copy of a real fake "BC42" WW2&1/3rd Brass Knuckelduster...

922-201382017166_540x360.jpg

2 minutes ago, Davejb said:

There was an original "spike duster" on display at the Pegasus Museum at Ranville and another at one of the other smaller museums near to the Normandy beach

They definitely are GENUINE!:D

If I had to choose between being stabbed or hit,well..........:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

Yes I know about the law and so does the owner, I'm not interested at all but no one knows much about them on FB so I thought I'd help. Is it legal to own the WW1 trench fighting knives like the M1918?

Any knife incorporating a "duster is illegal in the UK, no matter what period

• Upvote 1

Ahh man that's such a shame, really wanted summit like that, but law is law eh!

Well you still find them at WAP so people are still buying them, but whether they know the law or not is another matter

• Upvote 1

Herzters. The ones your showing us appear to be very old. The elongated finger holes give it away to me. Sure they make fakes but l believe their old. I have had many pairs of brass knuckles now I keep a pair of Sap gloves in the car.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, dagodave said:

I have had many pairs of brass knuckles now I keep a pair of Sap gloves in the car.

NO, You DON'T!¬¬9_9

• Upvote 2

We can have them here in Michigan I don't know if that's good or bad :)

18 minutes ago, dagodave said:

We can have them here in Michigan I don't know if that's good or bad :)

If you're on the receiving end it's definitely bad!;)

7 hours ago, dagodave said:

Herzters. The ones your showing us appear to be very old. The elongated finger holes give it away to me. Sure they make fakes but l believe their old. I have had many pairs of brass knuckles now I keep a pair of Sap gloves in the car.

Oh...you're in Michigan(I thought you lived in GB or Scotland)...you can keep them 'dusters then!^_^

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 2

Hi @HetzersGonnaHetz,

I noticed that there is a WD marking and "P" code on those knuckledusters and that could be Pimlico depot in London. This particular depot in London did handle personal kit, so it is a possible clue to the originality of the item.

Note : In WW2 "P" would be 1941and the format looks like WW2, as the letter code is above the WD marking.

D

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 2

I'll let the owner know DAK, thanks for the info buddy

There were WWII issued knuckle dusters, but mainly issued to SOE members.
They always were made of a kind of brass colour material.

The Imperial War Museum had one on display in a temprorary exhibition about clandistine operations back in the 90's.

Afterwards I was able to aquire me one years later.

For the knifes with dusters: they were still used in WWII and a specially popular among special forces like the airborne and commando troops,

I had a nice example of a Robins of Dudley knife that was produced in WWI, but used in WWII.
However, can't find the pictures.

• Upvote 1