1943 Mosquito Combat Report RAF.

Norrie

My main reason for starting collecting militaria and loving being here, is because of this man, my uncle, F.O. John Reid, 605 Sqdn RAFVR. Who was killed  in June 44, at the age of 23. I started researching his career over 10 years ago,I took over from my mums work.... and have found stacks of stuff out about him, and made many friends along the way. Incl some great guys on here...:) 

Anyway, as I was telling the chaps that went to the East Fortune Airfield trip, ( probs bored the pants off them..:) ) The De Havilland Museum at London Colney has a Mosquito FB V1 Code lettered UP/G.....that was a 605 Sqdn Aircraft, and one lettered as one of the craft my uncle flew. Unfortunately, the craft in the museum isnt the actual craft he flew, its a later model ( Late 44) and they re used the code for it, as the original ( jackies plane)  had crashed....anyway, I have a copy of his combat report from late 1943....it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up just to read it...:)

Just thought you'd like to see it...:)

Jackie Combat Reports002.jpg

Jackie Combat Reports003.jpg

• Upvote 1

A slimmer, younger me in front of UP/G...:) 

IMG_20140601_102744.jpg

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Have you seen Tony Agars Mossie at Elvington Norrie ?.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Nope Paul, the only Mossies I've seen are the ones at the DH Museum, they have the prototype, and UP'G...was promised a seat in the pilots chair, but the bleedin tail fell off it,it was being held down by being tied to a big anvil,  so, could only get pics off a ladder. I tied the visit in with a trip to my Uncles grave in Hemel Hempstead...I have an open invitation from Hatfield to go back whenever i want to get a sit in it...plus if i ever get to Hendon, I've to call them beforehand....probs so they can lock the gates...:)

6 minutes ago, Ham & Jam said:

Have you seen Tony Agars Mossie at Elvington Norrie ?.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks like a later model with the radar fitted, think it was an NFT ?? ...TBH Paul, my interest in them is only in the models my Uncle flew....he flew a few of the earlier ones with OTU's...then onto FBV1's...:)

This is the official list of craft he flew during his 5 years in the RAF....when the head of records chap at Hendon Museum saw it, all he said was....WOW !!!! :) made me feel real good...:)

oldpics284.jpg

• Upvote 2

Guest Fred Karno's Army

He certainly had a varied flying history,I love the Handley page Harrow myself, flown as air refuelling aircraft for a short span.And not so well known it was used to tow aerial mines against enemy bombing formations,that idea was soon scrapped o.O.

image.jpeg

Edited by Fred Karno's Army