(sort of) Last-Ditch WH M43 Einheitsfeldmutze/Bergmutze

Manu Della Valle

A cracking example of late-War M43 Einheitsfeldmutze/Bergmutze.This "vet" has seen action,is full of character and has been found several years ago.At first I thought it as a beautiful field-made cap but I reconsidered that checking it out carefully.It's been beautifully made and it's one of the M43s I love most!
The earcover consists of four pieces instead of the usual two and it's been secured with stitches to the crown of the cap as was the case with many M43s and M36 and 42 sidecaps (gonna post one or two soon!) for no apparent reason,to me at least, other than aesthetics.
This cap is full of great details and I'll post quite a few pictures to let you discover them one by one.The ,lining is made of thick fabric (the top) and of water-repellant cloth (the crown) nearly identical to the cloth the Windjacke was made of.There are no makers's stamp and/or date but the owner wrote his name on the lining.
The top of the cap obviously comes from a recycled M36 sidecap and under the earcover there are a needle and a safety pin,still where the former owner left them.
The visor is rather short,like on early-to-mid-War Bergmutzen and that's quite interesting for  mid-to-late War Bergmutzen were just M43 Einheitsfelmutzen with a metal edelweiss sewn on the ear cover.In the pictures it looks longer than it actually is,but I don't know how to use cameras well,so please cope with me!
This M43 has a neatly and PERIOD hand-applied T-shaped insigna (the thread it's been used to sew it was gray but it's discolored on the stitches hit by the sunlight!) well "sunken" into the cloth and a metal Edelweiss held by black thread.
It's definitely not a minty,"textbook" (I HATE this term....it smells of WAFITES! ) M43 like many others I have in my collection,but it's absolutely amongst the ones I like most...... if not the ONE I like most!:x:x:x
Sorry for attaching so many pictures but you can find nice details in each and every one of them!
Cheers
Manu

berg (2).JPG

berg (3).JPG

berg (4).JPG

berg (5).JPG

berg (6).JPG

berg (20).JPG

berg (8).JPG

berg (9).JPG

berg (37).JPG

berg (36).JPG

berg (34).JPG

berg (35).JPG

berg (21).JPG

berg (22).JPG

berg (24).JPG

berg (16).JPG

berg (18).JPG

berg (19).JPG

berg (26).JPG

berg (27).JPG

berg (30).JPG

berg (10).JPG

berg (15).JPG

berg (28).JPG

berg (31).JPG

berg (33).JPG

berg (13).JPG

berg (14).JPG

berg (17).JPG

berg (39).JPG

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 3

Well its a one looker thats for sure, A been there seen it and done it example, I like to see a good well worn cap with period alterations, it shows the wearers ability to adapt and to preserve something he regards as worth keeping

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Really impressive mutze, Manu, nice & salty just how they should be!

• Upvote 1

Another beautiful example of an M-43 @Manu Della Valle with loads of character.My friend I would much rather have another nice well worn cap such as this any day than a minty example on my shelf ....

Regards Mark 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mark K said:

Another beautiful example of an M-43 @Manu Della Valle with loads of character.My friend I would much rather have another nice well worn cap such as this any day than a minty example on my shelf ....

Regards Mark 

You're right,as usual!I LOVE this cap for it's a tiny time capsule in its own right!

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/6/2016 at 18:05, ahrtal said:

Gotta love that one!  No doubt as to its pedigree!

For sure @ahrtal   !I've got a few un-issued ones but this M43 has a pedigree and a character second to none!
Cheers
Manu

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best caps I've seen. Love the patina on this one!

• Upvote 1

On 1/7/2016 at 08:35, EA-Militaria.nl said:

One of the best caps I've seen. Love the patina on this one!

Dank je vel @EA-Militaria.nl

• Upvote 1