Bloody Typical !!!!!! 6lbers like buses.....

Steve T

Bloody typical !!! Following on from my recent post..........

....................I spend all those years looking for a WW2 dated 6lber shell, a friend very VERY kindly sends me one, then the very next week.........

......at the carboot, for some reason I deliberately missed out a 'row'. Tailing back to the car 30 minutes later having found nothing from WW2, I remember the row I skipped and went down it. Third car in, trench art shell cases! Some nice WW1 shells, and some totally butchered WW2 2lbers. I was just about to walk away when I saw some old fire pokers sticking out of a partially covered brass tube. Uncovered it and bugger me!!!  WW2 dated 6lber shell case. I didn't even haggle when the booter told me what he wanted for the shell. I parted with my £3 and went back to the car. 

This is very fortuitous as I just happen to have a flat top 6lber solid shot shell, ground dug relic. As the shell case was already half shiny, I shined it up properly and will now paint the flat top in the correct colour. I think I'll also try to pick out the embossed stamps on the projectile. A very nice pair I have now!!

DSC09092.JPG

DSC09094.JPG

DSC09095.JPG

DSC09096.JPG

DSC09097.JPG

• Upvote 1

What Carboot was it as I like me some WW1 shells?

And here they are.......the 6lbers. Both solid shot, both WW2 dated, both awesome!!! Unfortunately, the 'wash' to pick out the letter of the flat top didn't work very well due to the other corrosion around the stamp, so I just picked out the visible letters with a light wash colour. First picture is where they sit in the display, second without their friends. The last picture shows a 50cal as well, for scale :)

DSC09098.JPG

DSC09099.JPG

DSC09101.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

The flat top one is a proof round, not super common either, love it! Saw one at a local militria show for 65$, fired but in perfect shape. I regret not buying it now!