SA/SS Daggers

Libertesoe

Realise the net has plenty sites offering these types of dagger for sale. What would forum members consider a reasonable price to pay....not dealer prices....

Thanks

So much depends on condition, ie excess shrinkage on grips, whether the eagles and insignias have been replaced or damaged, condition of blades,deterioration of metal on hand guards, inscriptions, rarity of makers names. In relation to SA daggers the listings on SARS will help to ascertain rarity etc. SS daggers are a minefield especially when dealing with any accoutrements, like chains, suspension loops etc, also some plain blades have been post war inscribed with RZM and makers marks, then twinned with original grips, resulting in a parts dagger. Prices really depend on whats being asked and what your prepared to pay

2 hours ago, Davejb said:

So much depends on condition, ie excess shrinkage on grips, whether the eagles and insignias have been replaced or damaged, condition of blades,deterioration of metal on hand guards, inscriptions, rarity of makers names. In relation to SA daggers the listings on SARS will help to ascertain rarity etc. SS daggers are a minefield especially when dealing with any accoutrements, like chains, suspension loops etc, also some plain blades have been post war inscribed with RZM and makers marks, then twinned with original grips, resulting in a parts dagger. Prices really depend on whats being asked and what your prepared to pay

Thanks for that....sound advice.I wont go rushing in. I think I'll maybe post some pics when I narrow down what I'm looking for. I don't have any in my collection. May plump for an original SA and copy SS, given the considerable difference in price....;)

• Upvote 2

• 5 years later...

condition is every thing. however, caution has to be taken when out to buy daggers for large numbers have been played with and mix masters have been passed off to unsuspecting buyers. many daggers are today reproduced in full.