Favourite war film?

Lenny

One film that I am desperately trying to get is the colourised version of The Longest Day in full English dialogue, I turned my TV on one afternoon just before going to a party and caught the very last minutes, it looked pretty damn good, but that was a few years ago, been hunting for it ever since. I think the full English dialogue black and white version was better than the sub titles, it detracts from what is happening when you have to continually read whats being said, and apparently the sub titles are not an accurate representation of the true words spoken in some cases

On 22 February 2016 at 22:41, Davejb said:

Now your talking, I remember Danger UXB very well, although its not a film but was a terrific wartime series, I was in the police force at the time,I dont know if anyone remembers the episode when the team were confronted with German Butterfly bombs, basically a bomb cannister supported by a rod with four vanes that rotated like a helicopter rotor and drifted down to explode on contact. About a week after that was aired , some guy brought in one and just plonked it down on the police counter in front of me. he said that he had found it in his back garden. He was cutting down a large tree and half way up in a bough hidden from view there was this thing. He saw the episode of UXB and decided to bring it in. You can imagine what state my rectal passage was in while staring at this thing, we evacuated the station and closed the road outside until BDT arrived, according to them this was one of 11 that they had to deal with after the programme was seen, and it was,nt the last time that someone brought in an explosive device into the station in front of me!!!!!

Yep, I remember those days as well........look what I found officer..." Bloody hell, it's a grenade " .....Bucket, Sand, BD......RUN!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

On 23 February 2016 at 21:34, Davejb said:

One film that I am desperately trying to get is the colourised version of The Longest Day in full English dialogue, I turned my TV on one afternoon just before going to a party and caught the very last minutes, it looked pretty damn good, but that was a few years ago, been hunting for it ever since. I think the full English dialogue black and white version was better than the sub titles, it detracts from what is happening when you have to continually read whats being said, and apparently the sub titles are not an accurate representation of the true words spoken in some cases

I have a colour copy of the Longest Day in English. Give me a few days to find it and remember where I got it....Old age doesn't come easy!

• Upvote 2

Loving all the films/ series mentioned here and some new one's. Personally loved the BBC series, Secret Army and Colditz. Favourite film has got to be A Bridge Too Far......just for the accuracy of Uniforms, vehicles and kit....and there was no large scale massing of American tanks mimicking King Tigers i.e. Battle of the Bulge!

Yup, I'm one of those sad cases that nit picks.

• Upvote 1

Must say most of my favorites tend to be the b/w movies mad post WWII . . . John Mills, Richard Attenborough et all . . . then without a doubt, Bridge Over the River Kawai (sp?).

More recently - The Beast - story about a tank and crew adrift in Afghanistan. Not a bad yarn, and good cinematography . . .

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Libertesoe said:

I have a colour copy of the Longest Day in English. Give me a few days to find it and remember where I got it....Old age doesn't come easy!

That would be great, you wont believe how long I,ve been looking for one, Thankyou

5 hours ago, Libertesoe said:

age of 15Loving all the films/ series mentioned here and some new one's. Personally loved the BBC series, Secret Army and Colditz. Favourite film has got to be A Bridge Too Far......just for the accuracy of Uniforms, vehicles and kit....and there was no large scale massing of American tanks mimicking King Tigers i.e. Battle of the Bulge!

A Bridge Too Far, great film and a strange point is that Hardy Kruger who portrayed Major General Ludwig was actually in WW2. His real name was Franz Eberhard August Kruger,and was acting at the age of 15. Aged 16 ,he was conscripted into the WH in 1944. In March 1945 he was again conscripted only this time into 38th SS Division Nibelungen where he saw heavy fighting before being captured by the  advancing American Army, he played numerous German wartime roles since then, It must have felt strange for him to wear SS uniform again . His first major acting role in British films was the wartime story, "The one that got away"

• Upvote 1

Battle of Britain, first saw it a secondary school, was shown on a projector so showing my age ;) 

Still watch the black and white classics, In Which We Serve, Ice Cold In Alex, The Dambusters, The Cruel Sea.

Cross of Iron one of the first war movies I saw  from a German perspective, still a good watch.

TV Drama series from the late 70's Wings about the early days of the  Royal Flying Corps.

• Upvote 1

I'm watching The Pacific at the moment and I love it. It might be because it had the same producers as BoB but it's great down to the finest detail. I lesser known war film is The Battle of Westerplatte, great foreign film , a Must See!!

Lots of good films and series mentioned so far, I have most of them would love to see the colourised version of The longest day again. Another favorite of mine from the german viewpoint is Stalingrad made by the same production company as Das Boot.

On 2/29/2016 at 13:45, Libertesoe said:

age of 15Loving all the films/ series mentioned here and some new one's. Personally loved the BBC series, Secret Army and Colditz. Favourite film has got to be A Bridge Too Far......just for the accuracy of Uniforms, vehicles and kit....and there was no large scale massing of American tanks mimicking King Tigers i.e. Battle of the Bulge!

A Bridge Too Far, great film and a strange point is that Hardy Kruger who portrayed Major General Ludwig was actually in WW2. His real name was Franz Eberhard August Kruger,and was acting at the age of 15. Aged 16 ,he was conscripted into the WH in 1944. In March 1945 he was again conscripted only this time into 38th SS Division Nibelungen where he saw heavy fighting before being captured by the  advancing American Army, he played numerous German wartime roles since then, It must have felt strange for him to wear SS uniform again . His first major acting role in British films was the wartime story, "The one that got away"

Another two films that I forgot to mention were Danger Within and Albert RN , which I will be watching on TV in the morning 4/3/2016 on a new type of Channel on Sky, Albert RN especially as its based on a true story

• 2 weeks later...

Watching a film at this very moment "A hill in Korea", its a good old B/W movie with all the old stars in it, George Baker, Stanley Baker,Robert Shaw, Harry Andrews, Michael Caine(in his first credited film), Michael Medwin, Stephen Boyd,Victor Maddern, Percy Herbert,Ronald Lewis, and its a corker, and I dont think I,ve ever seen it which is a bonus, mind you their Bren Gun actions need a bit more practice, but all the kit is pucker, uniforms, weapons,Theres even a Churchill tank in it . This Talking Pictures channel is pretty damn good, and I only found it by chance on Sky movies, but theres some of the old horror movies coming up soon as well, theres also "Spearhead"on at night, I,m in movie heaven at the moment. I,ve also been watching all the episodes of "Twelve o/clock high", which again I,d never seen, that took three days to see all of them, but all the old American stars were in it.

• 1 month later...

There are so many films that I enjoy, but the film that first comes to mind when asked about my favorite film, has to be "The Longest Day."  

I watched a damn good film the other day called "Go for Broke" which was the motto of the Japaneses/American soldiers who fought in WW2. This film was made in 1951 which included original uniforms and equipment plus many of the original veterans as well. It was amazing that whilst these men were fighting, many of their families were in internment camps. It made you wonder what these men thought about the US and the way their relatives were being treated, I can imagine that many were or felt bitter and this in turn made them determined to prove their patriotism. These soldiers fought extremely hard while at the same time were shunned by many in the services yet earned some of the highest awards and battle honours, they even saved many American trapped soldiers who were surrounded by enemy troops at great loss to their own men