WWI US 2nd Division Painted Bag and Mask

Mitter2k1

As promised, here is one of my World War I gas masks. This is one of the only painted items in my collection at this time and features a rather crude 2nd Division Indian head. Specifically, the painting is for 1st Battalion of the 23rd Infantry Regiment. It is named to a Robert R. Pollock of Company B, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Division.  The bag was made by Simmons in 1918 and has held up quite well. I also tried photographing the maintenance card, but it is too shiny and was difficult to read, so I will add it later when I can get my scanner to cooperate. There is an issue date for the mask or canister, I am not sure which, and it is October 19, 1918. In the past I have attempted to research Mr. Pollock, but haven't found a match that is 100%. Unfortunately, the bag is heavily soiled from what looks and smells like old grease from a dirty engine. But on the flip side of things, it apparently helped preserve the mask. There is minimal rust on the canister, and aside from the hose being mashed for god knows how long, it is all quite supple. So instead of further rambling, here it is and enjoy.

Thanks,

Mike 

phpFVxjuGPM.jpg.06f6dc6614806e37c7e4915ephpY1R5DKPM.jpg.e21cdaff9bcc6bf88c1b1bd0phpx9cWnJPM.jpg.3a624dd5124a2500dbae4bbe

• Upvote 5

Thanks Rocky. I have one more to post up that isn't painted, but the soldier added all of his unit information to it. I may do a side-by-side comparison of the two bags and masks once I figure out the new photo editing software that came with my camera. 

-Mike

When I saw US 2nd Division in the title, it caught my eye as I'm reading a book about the Ardennes offensive and there's a story of the 1st Bt, 9th IR, 2nd Division, holding off the 12th SS Hitler Jugund to allow the remnants of the 99th ID to escape. 

Loving the item BTW, I'm not an expert in stuff like this but I guess this is a pretty neat piece in the Gas Mask collecting world. Top Piece Mitter! :)

13 hours ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

When I saw US 2nd Division in the title, it caught my eye as I'm reading a book about the Ardennes offensive and there's a story of the 1st Bt, 9th IR, 2nd Division, holding off the 12th SS Hitler Jugund to allow the remnants of the 99th ID to escape. 

Loving the item BTW, I'm not an expert in stuff like this but I guess this is a pretty neat piece in the Gas Mask collecting world. Top Piece Mitter! :)

Thank you. 2nd Division is great due to the different colors and shapes they used to ID units for WWI. All of the painted helmets and gas mask bags were done post war. 

Thanks again,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...