The Royal Scots WW1.

Norrie

Hi Guys, Time to pick your brains again, especially @Ham & Jam , This might be right up your street...:)

This is my Grandad, in 1914, he joined up but unfortunately was invalided out after only a year or so, not really sure why, but know he had ulcers etc on his lower legs till he died, they were an awful mess...

Anyway, I'd like to find out what kit he would have used, rifle etc, uniform he'd wear,  and if he was entitled to any medals...also, is that a dress uniform he has on ?

I know nothing at all about his time in The Royal Scots. When he recovered after coming out of the army, he went straight into armament production in a massive steel works in Glasgow making large caliber barrels for cannons..:) I have all that paperwork here, his "entitlement" pass thingy to be in a protected trade and some other paraphanalia...:)

grampas stuff.jpg

grampas stuff035.jpg

grampas stuff036.jpg

Edited by Norrie

Excellent, is that the same cap as he has on in his picture?? I take it they all wore the same kit, by "They All" I mean the British Army...:)

BTW, the wee model is a cracker...:)

Edited by Norrie

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I will message you mate,I am useless at the document hunting side so I am sure other members can point  you in the right direction ;).

Guest Fred Karno's Army
6 minutes ago, Norrie said:

Excellent, is that the same cap as he has on in his picture?? I take it they all wore the same kit, by "They All" I mean the British Army...:)

BTW, the wee model is a cracker...:)

No mate,Scottish tunics were different bieng rounded at the lower centre so a sporran could be worn.I will show you,but depending on supplies etc the standard tunic would be worn also ( 2nd pic).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Guest Fred Karno's Army

The first picture would be close to your grandfathers kit,Slade Wallis equipment,Lee Metford before the SMLE and of course in 1914 no helmets yet ;).

Guest Fred Karno's Army

That's the Slade Wallis set mate on no head Fred,often referred to as P14 webbing as well mate.

image.jpeg

Crackin pictures @Ham & Jam, I love the one with the sporran....Lee Metford eh?? never heard of that model....and NO helmets....?? Gawd, when did they actually come into use??

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Helmets varying dates are given but early 1916 I believe they were first used in France and Flanders @Mark K could answer you better mate ;). Just google Lee Metford rifle @Norrie it's all there pal,found a nice rusted relic one in Mametz wood with the bolt open and a round going into the breach as the poor bugger must have been hit or worse as he was reloading  :(.

Thanks @Ham & Jam , info much appreciated...lots more research to be done now...:) 

Edited by Norrie

Guest Fred Karno's Army

No problems mate,anytime ;).And yes it's the same hat,not exact lol :D.

image.jpeg

Edited by Fred Karno's Army