Calling Trumpeter

Todd A. Raffensperger

I was working on a 1/700 Trumpeter kit of the HMS Warspite 1915, when I found, to my chagrin, that the rear deck of  the model is missing.  Now at first, I thought that I misplaced it; it's entirely possible.  But I have looked and looked and found nothing.  

So, I am firing off an email to Trumpeter to please send me a replacement part.  I don't know if they will, but if they don't, I want to let everyone here know, and hope that you let your other modelling friends know, that Trumpeter does not appear to be a company that gives a crap.  

Stay tuned.

Trumpeter are not that bad for models but their prices are all over the place, a 1/72nd aircraft kit can cost you over £30 , then a 1/48th scale model can cost less, it makes no sense, model companies are usually pretty good with replacing parts, but I can only speak about Airfix and Revell mainly because they have outlets and supply shops here in the UK and can easily obtain parts from the factories

• Upvote 1

Been a modeller since I was born and at the cost of sounding like the king of party poopers I wouldn't hold my breath with Turdeteer,mate!

You'd be better off contacting the HS you've bought the kit from!

I must agree with Manu!

The big scale model company's like Dragon, Tamiya, Trumpeter and other far, far away based most time don't respond on complains about missing or broken parts.
Sometimes the offer a "service" that you can buy a missing sprue.
That you have to buy it is not the problem, untill you hear how much it is!
You better then can search for a second hand kit that will be cheaper then buying the single sprue.

I rather like to do business with the small producers like Mirror Models, LZ models, Resicast, Accurate Armour, Des models.
These are all small company's that are most time founded because the owner was a modeller him self.
Missing or broken parts: no problem....just an email and the problem will be sloved.
Most time even for free.

I hope I am wrong and that you get a respons for your missing parts!

I have not built  a model since I was about 12 years old. I simply don't have the patience for it. I never recall any missing pieces or broken parts. Is missing, broken parts really an issue? Meaning something that should be checked before starting the build? I am not trying to be a smart arse, I honestly would like to hear. 

Missing parts and / or broken parts are more an issue when you buy a second hand kit.
"Why buy a second hand kit?" you would ask.

Well, there are models that are out of production or had a short production run.
There are people who want that kit and don't mind if some one started it.
But then the issue of broken or missing parts can become an issue.

With new plastic kits the change is slim that there are parts missing or broken, but it can happen.

If you buy resin kits, then ALLWAYS check the parts when you are home!!!
From the 100 times I expereinced, 95 times there was something missing or broken.

Not strange, because this are most time models that are produced in very small numbers and have a total different production procedure.
My experience is that the producers know that this happen and don't give you a hard time when you ask for replacement parts or what so ever.

I even got parts from a producer that I needed for a scratsbuild project I had in mind.
So not a complete model, but I explained him my idea and asked him if he could help me with parts from kit A, some from kit B and some from kit C.
No problem and he didn't charge me anything!