Croix de Guerre 1914-18

DAK D

Hi All

Ernest George Land who was my 4th cousin on my maternal line was killed in action on the 10th of October 1918 at Picardie in France and awarded the Croix de Guerre. I have found quite a lot of documentation relating to his life, but I have not found any information about how he died, or why he was awarded the medal.Ernest is buried at Braincourt Le Grand in France. Records show that he was born at East Harling in Norfolk in 1898, but there is no mention of him on the war memorial at East Harling.

9th Norfolk Battalion 26698 Pte Ernest George Land killed in action during The Battle of Cambrai.

I purchased this Croix de Guerre as a representative piece and I believe the ribbon is a modern copy, but I am also unsure when the medal itself was actually made. The details are good and the medal is toned, but the tops of swords appear to be much more pointed than on other examples I have observed. I will probably not find his original medals and a post World War One made medal will not be good enough for me, even if it is not a fake.

Edited by DAK D
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I bought this beauty from Emedals.

DSCN0172 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

'Hi @Todd A. Raffensperger,

Yes it's a great example and the sword tips are the regular shape, unlike the example in my collection. Do you think my example was made at the time or later?

D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DAK D said:

'Hi @Todd A. Raffensperger,

Yes it's a great example and the sword tips are the regular shape, unlike the example in my collection. Do you think my example was made at the time or later?

D

I had a look at the example I have in my collection. Unfortunately, mine is a later dated one, 1939-1940. The design is the same, just different dates. I must say, I do not like the look of the one in the original post at all. The swords are too pointy, the handles of the swords seem to lack the intricacy of an original. Also the suspender claw looks odd to me. I am not an expert in these but I would not want it my collection. Overall this originally posted example seems to have far to many differences. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

That's a fantastic family history  @DAK D I see what you mean about the cross swords just looked at mine,not sure to be honest medals are not my thing :/.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, pylon1357 said:

I had a look at the example I have in my collection. Unfortunately, mine is a later dated one, 1939-1940. The design is the same, just different dates. I must say, I do not like the look of the one in the original post at all. The swords are too pointy, the handles of the swords seem to lack the intricacy of an original. Also the suspender claw looks odd to me. I am not an expert in these but I would not want it my collection. Overall this originally posted example seems to have far to many differences. 

I have posted this particular Croix de Gurre on the WAF forum, where there are people that collect these French medals and thus far I have been told it is an original medal made between 1918 and 1930.

I have also looked on the site for more information and I found this photo that shows the known original Croix de Gurre 1914 - 18 date variations and mine is the middle one of the three. The pointed swords on this medal are just a manufacturers variation and not a sign of a modern fake/reproduction. The ribbon is a copy and it will be hard to find an original by itself and I need an original bronze star, as that was the most basic version awarded.

D

4 - Copy.JPG

CdG 1918 date comp.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

WOW this is pretty interesting stuff. I do understand differences in makers etc. One thing I am curious about. You say the example was produced between 1918 and 1930. That strikes me as odd. I guess I don't understand the dates embossed. I assumed those would be the year, from the start of the war, until the year the award was made. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pylon1357 said:

WOW this is pretty interesting stuff. I do understand differences in makers etc. One thing I am curious about. You say the example was produced between 1918 and 1930. That strikes me as odd. I guess I don't understand the dates embossed. I assumed those would be the year, from the start of the war, until the year the award was made. 

Hi @pylon1357,

You are correct the second date on the reverse was the year of issue and "1918" was as we all know the last year of the war, but when original stock was gone Veterans still needed replacements, so they were made during the inter war years. It's a real shame that there does not appear to be a way to separate original WW1 issued "Croix de Guerre" and the ones made afterwards.

I am going to buy another one now, that is complete with an original ribbon and bronze star and it won't break the bank :)

D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DAK D said:

Hi @pylon1357,

You are correct the second date on the reverse was the year of issue and "1918" was as we all know the last year of the war, but when original stock was gone Veterans still needed replacements, so they were made during the inter war years. It's a real shame that there does not appear to be a way to separate original WW1 issued "Croix de Guerre" and the ones made afterwards.

I am going to buy another one now, that is complete with an original ribbon and bronze star and it won't break the bank :)

D

Thanks DAK D, at least I have a semi-grasp on these. What you say makes perfect sense, One thing I have noticed, these medals are not on the expensive side of things at all. Again, learning lots here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Here are some interesting items from the WW1 period relating to the "Croix de Guerre"

1/ How the Croix de Guerre is one.

2/ Sacrifice

3/ in wear US Soldier.

4/ Croix de Guerre 1914-18 that I just payed for with the correct bronze star and original ribbon!

D

1.JPG

2.JPEG

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by DAK D
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Bring this thread up to date with my coin store find Croix de Guerre 1914-1918. They are nice looking medals.

IMG_20190304_131753701.jpg

IMG_20190304_131803037.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to you all for displaying these medals on MCN...Sorry I missed them and took so long to find.!

Best wishes and thanks for the images....Desert Rat/ Ian

• Thanks 1