25lb Casing "strange marking"..

Norrie

Hiya, I have what to me is THE most important casing on the planet....ok, only kidding...:)

Anyway, was bored last night, and decided to clean it, half a bottle of Brasso later, I noticed this marking....I'm not by any manner of means, completely clued up on shell casings, and have only ever seen markings on the base of the shell, not the wall of the casing...and wondered if any kind person would help with an ID of said marking...:) It does look like the "exploded" grenade thingy that the RA wore on their collars...

Thanks in advance chaps..:)

DSC_1406.jpg

DSC_1407.jpg

Never seen one with that marking , whats the marking on the base, Steve T might be your best bet on this, he has tons of reference material on ordnance

• Upvote 1

Too crude to be an 'official' marking.

• Upvote 1

Guest Fred Karno's Army

It reminds me of the US arsenal ordanance Mark ( Not saying it is that ) strange one that Norrie,wonder if someone had a go at light etching before thinking of trench arting it ?.....hmmm  o.O.

image.jpeg

Edited by Fred Karno's Army

Seeing its a design of the "Flaming bomb" , I,m wondering ,could it be a proof of safe ordnance???????

• Upvote 1

The stencil on the side of a QF cartridge normally gives maker, fill information, lot numbers etcc..... and there is usually a propellent code letter inside a square, etched into the brass with silver nitrate. I have to say I've never seen this mark before and would hazard a guess at either being a manufacturers mark, or possibly an inspection proof stamp.

Very unusual!

• Upvote 1

Its not an official stamp, its either been scratched on or the case has been resting against something which has transferred the mark to it.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Fuze Collector said:

Its not an official stamp, its either been scratched on or the case has been resting against something which has transferred the mark to it.

Dont think it's a scratch.its too finely done..on the "flame" you can see the indents that make up the flame......and does'nt look to be etched on either, its quite hard to get a good picture with the phone...it's about 3/4Inch across, ( old school) and I can just feel it with the edge of my thumb nail...I've rubbed it to death with brasso, and it doesnt make any difference at all to it...:) It wasnt showing till i cleaned it up, the case was sooooo dark...its also "side on" to the base of the shell...:) 

I love a good mystery,...:)

5 hours ago, Davejb said:

Never seen one with that marking , whats the marking on the base, Steve T might be your best bet on this, he has tons of reference material on ordnance

Base has this on it, different date between casing and primer btw..I think......:)

shell.jpg

Not at all unusual to see varying dates on the primer and case. :):):)

• Upvote 1

Case made by Edward Curran and Co, primer filled at Chorley.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Steve T said:

Not at all unusual to see varying dates on the primer and case. :):):)

Nice one, thanks @Steve T, There's me thinking it had been fired, and then reloaded like what I do with my rifle rounds...;)

2 hours ago, Fuze Collector said:

Case made by Edward Curran and Co, primer filled at Chorley.

Definately a font of knowledge @Fuze Collector, I thank you for the information...you guys never fail to amaze me..:)

We have a little bit of knowledge yes, which is useless unless shared :)

The PO and one WD arrow are examiners work mark, and the other WD arrow is the final acceptance stamp. The CF stands for 'Cordite full charge'.

As for the primer, have a diagram. :):)

Primer No 1.jpg

• Upvote 1

@Steve T, Thankyou...I'm here to learn, and you guys are truly doing a great job as teachers...it was a great day when I signed up here......:)

I've downloaded the diagram, and it's now in the "library"...:)

Edited by Norrie