The Massacre at Le Paradis

HetzersGonnaHetz

Today we should remember the 97 British Soldiers massacred by the SS Totenkopf at Le Paradis

The Le Paradis massacre was a war crime committed by members of the 14th Company, SS Division Totenkopf, under the command of Hauptsturmführer Fritz Knöchlein. It took place on 27 May 1940, during the Battle of France, at a time when the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) was attempting to retreat through the Pas-de-Calais region during the Battle of Dunkirk.
Soldiers of the 2nd Battalion, the Royal Norfolk Regiment, had become isolated from their regiment. They occupied and defended a farmhouse against an attack by Waffen-SS forces in the village of Le Paradis. After running out of ammunition, the defenders surrendered to the German troops. The Germans led them across the road to a wall, and machine-gunned them. Ninety-seven British troops died. Two survived, with injuries, and hid until they were captured by German forces several days later.
After the war, Fritz Knöchlein was located, tried and convicted by a war crimes court, with the two survivors acting as witnesses against him. For his part in the massacre, Knöchlein was executed by hanging in 1949.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, dagodave said:

Great post Buddy!

Thank you Dave. Sad day.

Wow, I hope you find what you're looking for, but I also hope an ancestor didn't die at Le Paradis.

Edited by HetzersGonnaHetz

• Major General

A bloody disgrace what happened that day.you can't even, I think, blame that event on combat stress or war fatigue, it was purely barbaric mass murder.

Knochlein got what he deserved, just a pity the NCOs and other ranks responsible weren't hunted and dealt with in the same manner.

RIP.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

A bloody disgrace what happened that day.you can't even, I think, blame that event on combat stress or war fatigue, it was purely barbaric mass murder.

Knochlein got what he deserved, just a pity the NCOs and other ranks responsible weren't hunted and dealt with in the same manner.

RIP.

Hi @Bil4338,

I agree with you, as there are no excuses for this barbaric war crime and the SS men that carried out that massacre should have been hunted down and executed for their crimes at the end of the war.

There was a complaint at the time that the 2nd Norfolk's were using illegal "dumb dumb" bullets, but I do not believe it and it was a poor excuse for mass murder of British soldiers who bravely defended their position at Le Paradis in late May 1940.

D

• Upvote 1

There was always an excuse by the SS, 'It was an order' etc, stupid