Harry Andrews

Todd A. Raffensperger

After watching "The Hill," I've decided to dedicate this topic to the work of the late Harry Andrews, CBE, who probably starred in more war movies than any other character actor in movie history.  He did indeed serve in real life, with the Royal Artillery during WWII.  And his naturally military bearing got him parts in a wide range of historical and war films.

So, here's to him. 

Rest in Peace (1911-1989)

6382811_138473250878.jpg

Harry Andrews The Hill.PNG

930-10092.jpg

BasilHoskinsAndHarryAndrews.jpg

Sidenote: Basil Hoskins was Andrew's oldest friend and partner.  He was buried right next to Andrews.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Major General

A great actor, one of my favourites.didn't know he was definitely gay, but thought he might be...not that it matters one iota anyway.

he played military stiff-upper-lip types brilliantly with just that hint of menace.

• Thanks 1

He was a great actor and was in some of the best war films around, yet his demeanour never showed any sign of his sexuality. In nearly every portrayal he did , he was a big strong military type which most people would,nt say anything nasty to his face for fear of getting clobbered, and stranger yet,  women would flock around him, which makes me think he might have swung both ways

• Thanks 1

I've always believed that British actors have been more scrupulous about keeping their private lives PRIVATE, than their American counterparts.  There are exceptions of course, but it seems that the British want the attention to focus more on their performances and not on their sex lives.

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Very good point Todd.never thought about it, but it makes a lot of sense.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...

Wonderful actor! I wrote to him around Christmas 1986 and got a nice autographed photo back. 

I wrote a biography of Ian Hendry, Harry's co-star in 5 films, and I have some funny anecdotes to tell. 

• Upvote 1

Hello Todd,

Thanks for reminding us of the great- Harry Andrews - he was great, he was in one as all greatest films ever - Ice Cold in Alex - he was a great Actor, and made every part as a true professional.....He was  great, natural, and so worthy of his screen and film presence....Great Actor......One to be Remembered!

220px-DesertAttack60-PublicityStill152.jpg

Many Grateful thanks to-Wickepidia for the Image

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

My Dad was there during this time at 21 years old, he fought with the Generals Alexander etc until Monty was appointed, their Heroism was never disputed after they finall "Kicked the Ass" of Rommel out of Africa, As Churchill said "...

• 1 month later...

Yes for me and My Dad,

They fought in the Western Desert, The incredible Heat - 45-50 degrees every day, Freeing cold at night, hundreds of thousands of flies, enemy fire and death and killing of many friends/ mates who had trained together in the beginning at 18 years old........who saw their mates blasted to hell, burnt to a cinder by an 88mm tank attack on  their tank and my Dad had to remove their remains from these decapitated and broken bodies out from the destroyed tank into in a canvas sack, with their bodies dismembered and had to take the parts of their bodies out in pieces.....You wont ever believe the suffering, pain, torment and Nightmares they suffered.....All your life!

For ALL that suffered during WW1 and WW2......We All had Loved Ones who went through a personal "HELL"......Please don't forget Them, as was said many years ago......For Our Today....We Gave Our Tomorrows " (For the life of all that will follow us into the future....to Peace, Happiness and Hope-(Ian R. Bridle)

Desert Rat

2007-06-17-1348-22 (3).jpg

• 1 month later...

Thankfully a few do Remember and we can be Grateful today that they do.....!!!

The image was taken by me in the Battlefields of the Somme....The Lone Poppy reminds me of a single soldier or a platoon being surrounded by the enemy, doing his/ their duty and facing the fateful end, surrounded and fighting to the end.....We Remember You!

Desert Rat(Image Copyright Ian Bridle)

IMGP3046.JPG

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Thanks to you ALL ...Who DO Remember   !!!!....and through all the Wars since 1914, that have we have lost such Brave and Courageous Men & Women, from all Commonwealth Countries, the U.S.A, India, and the black Servicemen from the U.S.A - The Tusagee Airmen, and those from Jamacia and the rest of the islands under British Rule, who again gave the Ultimate Sacrifice for "Freedom"  They ALL gave so much....!!!.......Please DO NOT FORGET.....!!!

This comment does NOT apply to any MCN member, just my personal feelings, and I apologise if I have offended anyone of you!

Desert Rat

ALL Images Sole Copytright of Ian R Bridle

10352607_10152487498463939_411885501363413274_n.jpg

IMGP3050.JPG

IMGP3184.JPG

IMGP3183.JPG

tyne cot british cemetery (2).jpg

IMGP3646.JPG

IMGP3641.JPG

IMGP6102.JPG

UTAH MEM - Copy.jpg

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

Ian, I find your first comments above a little offensive, Its not for you to lay blame on any members just so you can get a reply, Have you even thought that its maybe to painful for some and that they wish to forget or want to remember in there way and not have it rammed down upon them just to please you, I can bet that the members fully respect all those that have given there all and payed the price for freedom, Its up to you to now issue an apology

• Thanks 1

To ALL......I apologise for any offence caused in what I genuinely mean no offence to anyone

Desert Rat

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

Thanks to you....My comments removed

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text

WOW, thanks for that outburst Ian,, Now I dont ever think that I have sworn at anyone on this forum, but you seem to like it, and  as you have asked, Lenny will be told as is my job as a mod, and for your information , if I had been a sad and pathetic person a lot of  your posts would have been taken down long ago

• Major General

@Desert Rat Now then,whats going on Ian?   Im not sure what the gist is but i for one am extremely busy running my business,therefore not a lot of time to log into the forums. I enjoy your posts and pictures,im sure other members do as well. If nobody answering,its more a case of they are time poor like myself.

cery best

waff

• Thanks 1

Hello Waff,

I said some things which were not appropriate to MCN and davejb objected to them very strongly, strangely enough he was the Only Moderator, no one else seemed to make a complaint, but I have made an apology as asked for by davjb to ALL MCN members. I thought I was ok in what I put but obviously not......Sorry to you and All Members!

Best Wishes Waff......Ian

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Dave will have been online and seen it. Just doing his job. :)    Ok,as you were. Its still quiet on here at the moment. Its mid silly season for me at work. Will nip in when i can

best

waff

• Upvote 1

Hello Waff,

Thanks for your comment, yes I know dave was doing his job as Moderators do....and sorry to say again that I have done what was bloody stupid, my apology made and I will certainly be more considerate in the comments I make in the future - knowing it is so easy to write the wrong comments that could/ will annoy and offend others on here.

Anyway, I am pleased that you and others appreciate my images and part stories I add to MCN, the simple point is - if members don't like them- just don't reply or add a comment or a dislike, yes it is always very nice to get a compliment from any members who appreciate - members accounts of their items the history of it, Images, and the odd banter of a funny comments.

I am sorry Dave is leaving the forum as he was one of the best with his knowledge about Military Items.....always there to assist other members with their problems and to identify their items, I hope he will re-consider and come back on as his expertise is one if not the best on MCN.

Best To You Both.......Desert Rat/ Ian

DO YOU OR ANY MODERATOR ON MCN OR LENNY WISH ME TO REMOVE MY PREVIOUS COMMENTS....AS I FEEL THAT THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR ANY/ ALL MEMBERS TO SEE THESE INNER DISPUTES WITH ONE ANOTHER......AGAIN MY SINCERE APOLOGY FOR ANY OFFENSE I HAVE CAUSED.

Edited by Desert Rat
correction to text