Digging trip to Latvia

Steve T

Hi All

Just got back from a fantastic trip to Latvia to work with some very good friends of mine. These guys dedicate their spare time, (and in the leader's case, ALL his time), to finding, recovering and giving a decent burial to men lost on the eastern front. Whilst they search for these fallen men, they obviously often find relics that are not associated with a soldiers remains. Some of these they very kindly allowed me to take home.

During the trip I was also greatly honoured to be present at a ceremony where 60+ Russian soldiers were buried with their comrades. These men lay where they had fallen on the battlefield and were recovered by Legenda, given the burial they deserve with their comrades.

IMG_4200.JPG

IMG_4216.JPG

IMG_4220.JPG

IMG_4234.JPG

On to the relics I came home with.

DSC09112.JPG

DSC09125.JPG

This little pedal was found in a trash pit full of tank parts and armour plating, and has a typical three letter German manufacturer code. I have tracked it down to probably being from a Pz IV. :) Pictures of the pedals in a Pz IV below.

DSC09113.JPG

DSC09114.JPG

7a79790514d2fa9c38fdeca9cf52d8a2.jpg

PhotoF0000118.jpg

German mess tin lids, dated 1936 and 1944. The name on the top of one I can't quite make out.....

DSC09115.JPG

DSC09116.JPG

DSC09117.JPG

DSC09118.JPG

Half a stick grenade handle.

DSC09119.JPG

Ammo pouches...... I'll sew them back together over the next few weeks.

DSC09120.JPG

DSC09121.JPG

German fork and spoon.

DSC09122.JPG

This was found at the bottom of a 2m deep bunker. Looks to have been fashioned into an ash tray. Headstamp is virtually invisible but appears to be a 76.2mm Russian shell.

DSC09123.JPG

DSC09124.JPG

Gas mask, dated 1943.

DSC09126.JPG

DSC09127.JPG

DSC09128.JPG

Best find of the trip for me......Maxim spring cover. :):) Looks to have been shot, probably to render the weapon inoperable.

DSC09129.JPG

DSC09130.JPG

DSC09131.JPG

Happy with my relics :)

• Upvote 6

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Relics apart and no pun intended that's battlefield recovery at its finest,the story's about the men not what's left behind.You should be honoured,Russian,German,English each deserves his place.

fecking well done pal,we don't have a thumbs up so have this :thanks-soldier:.

• Major General

Excellent stuff, and massive thanks also to Legenda for their sterling work.:wow::)

• Upvote 3

Thanks @Fred Karno's Army. Couldn't have put it better myself.

@Bil4338 - Legenda are incredible. They do their recovery work in their spare time and are not paid like some of the recovery teams. Every single item of kit found with human remains, right down to the last button, is re-buried with the men they find. And in the last ten years, the last estimate put the number of men they have found and given a decent burial to at over 15,000 soldiers. Some of the most honourable men in the world the Legenda guys......

• Upvote 3

Hi @Steve T,

Thank you for sharing this great story and I have to say Legenda are doing some fantastic work :)

You got some great items too!

The name could be Hansch on the mess tin, or something along those lines.

D

• Upvote 1

@DAK D - Thanks :) And thank you for the possible name :)

• Upvote 1

I have finished cleaning and repairing the German ammo pouch recovered from a rather smelly trench! I have stitched everything back together with leather thread & needle, and glued the securing strap back on to the middle pouch. Pleased with the results, especially when you consider their original condition, (as shown in group photo, bottom left.....in pieces!!) :)

DSC09133.JPG

DSC09134.JPG

DSC09136.JPG

• Upvote 1

I thought I had, but I hadn't actually finished. After a sound piece of advice from @Davejb, i took the restoration of these pouches one step further. Glad I did !!!

DSC09138.JPG

• Upvote 1

Cracking post @Steve T. Legenda are doing a great job.

Nice relics you brought back and a great job on the ammo pouches. :)

See, I do have some uses, even though I get nothing but verbal abuse. Theres a law about abusing your elders you know, and this elder can always deal out a swift kick in the gonads!!!!!!!!!!!9_9

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Excellent job! Well impressed...:)

• 1 month later...

I do like to hear stories of the good work being done by groups like this. It seems all I ever hear and see are about the 'black diggers' 

As for the pouches, the results are amazing