iron cross ww1 2nd class - value?

BULM5

Hello,

I don't have a clue about medals, how much is this 2nd class iron cross worth? I hope it is is genuine...

Thank you,

fred

P1040418.JPG

P1040419.JPG

Hi @BULM5,

The Iron Cross looks original in your photos and there is a maker mark on the ring, that's a good sign, but there are a few things you can look for to help determine originality.

1/ Three piece construction, you should be able to see this where the beading is and on the flat edge of the crosses frame. Try sliding some paper under the beading bellow the date, or near the middle.

2/ Magnetic core Most original WW2  Iron Crosses have an Iron core, but I am not sure about WW1 examples.

3/  Patina is a good sign that the medal is original, but this can be faked.

Dealers sell WW1 second class Iron Crosses for £40 - £55, sometimes more if the frame is silver. With the ribbon £30 - £35 is probably a realistic price.

Here is a maker list for WW1 Iron Crosses.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/WW1-GERMAN-IRON-CROSS-MANUFACTURERS-MARKINGS-/10000000010462273/g.html

D

imperial-iron-cross-second-class-3.jpg

12.thumb.JPG.a791c64c980a426e5d3f737c574b5f1b.JPG

Edited by DAK D
  • Upvote 1

On 02/06/2016 at 17:15, Bill in VA said:

At the 2015 Show of Shows in Louisville, KY I bought a total of four WWI EK2s with ribbon, from two different European dealers. I paid $55 each from onrdealer and $65 each from another. I'd estimate value on a ribbonless WWI EK2 at $40-$50 based on the above.

My .02

Collector to collector price would not be at your upper estimate of $50 without a ribbon in my opinion.

D