Imperial War Museum London

Peter Brown

Back from a visit to the Imperial War Museum London, last time I went was in 2006, so this is the first visit since it has been revamped.

A lot seems to have gone, no Jagpanther, British Mark V Male Tank, Mustang, Focker Wolf, BE2c. to name a few. These are not small exhibits so not sure where they are hiding now ;)

There used to be an excellent World War One Trench exhibit, full of original items, authentic looking soldiers, and realistic sound affects. Now they have an empty plastic trench walkway with nothing in it, and a WW1 tank mostly hidden from view. 

The WW1 exhibits now follow more of a time line and is still the biggest part of the museum.

On the plus side the Ashcroft Victoria Cross collection was well put together, with short descriptions of the individuals actions.

Again the Holocaust Exhibition was well put together with some interactive displays, (but having been to Dachau and Bergen-Belsen only there do you experience the true horror of the regime).

Overall if you have never been before you would probably come away thinking what a great day out.

If you had been pre revamp probably somewhat disappointed.

• Major General

I've always wanted to visit the IWM, but every review I've read over the last year or so has made me think I'd be wasting my time as reports all say the same...that a lot of the exhibits are missing or that displays are not as impressive as they used to be.

I'm sure there's still a heck of a lot worth seeing though, but items like a Jagdpanther are pretty major exhibits to be missing from a major museum such as this.just a long way to travel for a disappointment...

• Upvote 1

I cant be 100% sure but I believe that the exhibits you mention were transferred to Duxford, as they have dedicated exhibit areas for almost anything

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Has anyone visited the Northern Imperial war Museam in Madchester by any chance ?. o.O.

14 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

I've always wanted to visit the IWM, but every review I've read over the last year or so has made me think I'd be wasting my time as reports all say the same...that a lot of the exhibits are missing or that displays are not as impressive as they used to be.

I'm sure there's still a heck of a lot worth seeing though, but items like a Jagdpanther are pretty major exhibits to be missing from a major museum such as this.just a long way to travel for a disappointment...

Hi @Bil4338,

I don't think a trip to IWM London is worth it now, but if you can get to Duxford you won't be disappointed  :)

D

• Major General

Went to Duxford late '80's and loved it, I hear it's even better now.