first hello

Tips

hi, My names Chris and i'm a 31 year old very novice collector in west wales.

My interest with Military History began after learning that my late grandfather was a Paratrooper during the war and served in 2nd, 5th and 12th Para Battalions. Although destined for Arnhem as a follow up flight - His flight was cancelled and was then attached to 5th Para Brigade and sent to the far east.

personal collection is mainly around the Parachute regiment however - as this is a very expensive regiment to collect I also go for German helmets (also expensive) - I also skirt around ww1 infantry battalions with a family connection - namely 10th Lancashire fusiliers, 1st Queens Royal west surrey regiment 1st Lincolnshire. 

Granddad also owned a jeep back in the 50s and my big dream is to be in a position to own one - who knows! 

for note - Grandfather is on left - Edward J. Tipper (No, not the band of brothers E J  TIPPER - A British one!!!)

hopefully not bored anyone too much - see you on the forums!

12992158_1695498060702631_846118260_n.jpg

• Upvote 6

Very interesting, I have a 1914-15 star which was awarded to a man in the 8th Battalion RWS, he was killed in 1916.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, HetzersGonnaHetz said:

Very interesting, I have a 1914-15 star which was awarded to a man in the 8th Battalion RWS, he was killed in 1916.

nice medal to have, i'd love to find my great grandfathers - he had an M.M, mons star and M.I.D ..... i suspect he threw them away mind......... but kept his Princess mary Christmas 1914 Tin :) shame

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum Chris!

You will feel ad home over here with all these militaria nerds! :ph34r:

If you have the time, show us some pictures of your collection!

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome Chris! Lots of great guys here  to  help you

• Upvote 1

Welcome @Tips, this is a great place to be......I was'nt a "collector" per se' up till about 8 weeks ago...when I met up with some of the guys from the site...nutters, every one of them,....but, it got me started...and it's def a great way to spend some time...:)

I've asked lots of "newbie" questions,. and have had nothing but polite,, plain language, and very informative replies....their really is a wealth of knowledge here....so, dont be scared to ask....:)

BTW, My uncle Robin was in the Paras at the end of WW2, he did some stuff in Germany, then was shipped out to Palestine from 45-48.....I've still to research his career...

I love the photo of yer Grandad...:)

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Norrie said:

Welcome @Tips, this is a great place to be......I was'nt a "collector" per se' up till about 8 weeks ago...when I met up with some of the guys from the site...nutters, every one of them,....but, it got me started...and it's def a great way to spend some time...:)

I've asked lots of "newbie" questions,. and have had nothing but polite,, plain language, and very informative replies....their really is a wealth of knowledge here....so, dont be scared to ask....:)

BTW, My uncle Robin was in the Paras at the end of WW2, he did some stuff in Germany, then was shipped out to Palestine from 45-48.....I've still to research his career...

I love the photo of yer Grandad...:)

thanks all,

@Norrie Mine was in Palestine also after finishing south East Asia and Sarawak/Borneo..... m main interest in the collecting field has always circulated family links.

thanks for the kind replys

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tips said:

thanks all,

@Norrie Mine was in Palestine also after finishing south East Asia and Sarawak/Borneo..... m main interest in the collecting field has always circulated family links.

thanks for the kind replys

Totally agree, @Tips, my main interest is in my two Grandfathers, one in the Royal Scots in WW1, one in the RA in WW2, and my two uncles , one in the RAF during WW2 on Mosquitos, and Robin in the Paras...:) 

Great to make the connection...:)

• Upvote 1

as asked for regarding my own collections - Here's One of my "work in progress" :) - Han GrUber

DSCN0886.JPG

• Upvote 1

Here,s my Uncle Robin with his section....in Palestine, Front row, extreme left with the machine  gun, he brought a German helmet ( among other stuff) back from Germany, I got it when I was about 10-12 years old...and bloody swapped it with Steven Clark for an Action Man doll!!!!! Arghhhhh....:)

Uncle robin018.jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Norrie said:

Here,s my Uncle Robin with his section....in Palestine, Front row, extreme left with the machine  gun, he brought a German helmet ( among other stuff) back from Germany, I got it when I was about 10-12 years old...and bloody swapped it with Steven Clark for an Action Man doll!!!!! Arghhhhh....:)

Uncle robin018.jpg

Great pic! Which para Battalion was he in whilst in Palestine?

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Tips said:

Great pic! Which para Battalion was he in whilst in Palestine?

That is one of the things I need to find out...I know practically nothing about his time there, except that when the King David Hotel was bombed ( he was a Sgt by then) according to my mum, he was in the Pathe film of the rescuers....:) I also have a photo of one of his best friends, a mounted policeman, holding his carbine, on a gorgeous Arab horse.... , and  his station address on the back of it...turns out its now in the suburbs of Tel Aviv...:)

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 1

• Major General

Welcome Tips!

speaking as one of the nutters....I can see why you named your mannequin Hans Gruber!

...and that pic of your GD is a belter, not uninteresting in any way whatsoever, more please!

• Upvote 2

On 07/06/2016 at 22:35, Norrie said:

That is one of the things I need to find out...I know practically nothing about his time there, except that when the King David Hotel was bombed ( he was a Sgt by then) according to my mum, he was in the Pathe film of the rescuers....:) I also have a photo of one of his best friends, a mounted policeman, holding his carbine, on a gorgeous Arab horse.... , and  his station address on the back of it...turns out its now in the suburbs of Tel Aviv...:)

Ive git some pics of mine in tel aviv suburbs also. Sounds like hes possibly 5th para

• Upvote 1