Letters From General Sir Clive Liddell.

timjonheath@gmail.com

Went to our local Wartime in the Vale show today as its 15 mins walk from where we live and always support this brilliant local event. Three of the cast of Allo, Allo were there today signing photographs also which was really good. Looking round I found an album full of letters from General Sir Clive Liddell a veteran of both WW1 & WW2. The letters were written to a French girl named Froewiss Russel and by the sound of it the Generals wife Lady Liddell was not aware of their meetings at hotels in London such as the Savoy! Included with the letters were also two photographs of the General which he had obviously sent to the lady. The letters are on either official Savoy stationary or normal paper, there is also a telegram to Mrs Foewiss. The letters are dated between 1941-1943 and are in a kind of photo album with plastic sleeves so content can be viewed to avoid handling. The seller wanted £60 for the set of letters complete with envelopes some 22 in all plus a telegram and 2x photos. He wouldn't budge on the price so bought them for £60. The second item found on the same dealers stall was a photograph album which belonged to a 1800478 AC2 M.J Middleditch Royal Air Force and he compiled the photographs whilst at No.5 B.F.T.S Clewiston Florida USA. Inside are various photographs of bi-plane trainers and personnel plus a few of views etc all in a leather bound album. There is also a kind of large A4 booklet titled "No.5 BFTS Royal Air Force Riddle-McKay Aero College, Clewiston, Fla" and a manual titled "ABC of The RAF". Again I did try to haggle but paid £50 for this lot. I felt these were two interesting sets of items and meeting the three cast of "Allo Allo" was pretty good too. Will post photos when I can. Regards, Tim.

• Upvote 1