Odd 25x63mm dummies

Spaceinvader

Hello all, 

I have had these 2 dummies for a little over a year and a half probably and never gotten them ID'd. Ive posted them on the BOCN and IAA but no positive ID's. 

I bought these from a guy who got them out of a lot of a hundred or so various 20-105mm pieces. They where cheap so I thought why not. He listed them as 23mm which I thought was wrong as I have never seen a 23mm round like this. I thought he had measured wrong and they would be 20mm dummies for the Neopup PAW20 or something similar. When I got them I was surprised to see they where infact 25mm. 

A little about the rounds, I do have the thought they could be home made but the precision and quality leads me to believe otherwise. Both are the exact same dimensions and the same type of weird coating. The body is aluminum with a hole drilled right down the center. The single "fuze" that came with them is made of some type of heavy steel and also has a pocket drilled into it. It also has a weird sparkly coating on it but not the same as the body.The one without a fuze seems to have been used and is scratched up and not quite the same color as the other.  No primers, no markings anywhere on them. They are pictured next to a .50 for scale.

Some suggestions I have gotten as to what they are is dummies for a weapon like the XM25 or Neopup PAW20 smart grenade launchers. Ive search but not found any that use 25x63mm but have found 25x40 and 25x59mm. Anyone got any ideas! 

Rhys 

image (8).jpeg

image (5).jpeg

image (6).jpeg

image (7).jpeg

image (4).jpeg

Looking online through google, I punched up Depleted Uranium shells, there are some there that are quite close to the ones you show, albeit not exactly the same but more or less the same type of body shell but with warheads fitted, which makes the shells longer, they are even the same colouring. If you can get access to a Geiger counter, it might be worth you checking just for your own piece of mind, you dont want those around if they are in case you start to glow. I,m not saying they are but they are pretty unusual in design and ones I,ve never seen before, Steve T might be able to shed some light on them

• Upvote 1

Could you post the pictures here? I would be interested in seeing. And I am sure they are not depleted uranium. the body's are aluminum (where as DU is much heavier and denser) and the fuze is steel and magnetic (and DU is not ferromagnetic). They are certainly some type of dummy round. 

You are asking a 61 year old computer moron to post pictures, and I dont mind admitting it, its all I can do to turn this laptop on let alone do something absolutely outside of my comfort zone and computer ability. If you google it there are some pictures of different shells that use depleted Uranium, just scroll through till you see some that look roughly similar in design, but if you are confident that they are dummy and not DU related , then see if Steve T can ID them for you, just message him:$

• Upvote 1

Thanks very much buddy, and I will message him. Hope I can find out more! 

Modern stuff ain't my thing, but that looks like a drill round for the XM307 grenade launcher system :)

Google it, see what you think :)

On 6/20/2016 at 16:01, Steve T said:

Modern stuff ain't my thing, but that looks like a drill round for the XM307 grenade launcher system :)

Google it, see what you think :)

Thanks Steve, 

I was looking through some modern "smart" grenade launchers and also came across that one and I think its probably the closest! Thanks for your help! :D