1/20 Model Factory Hiro Ferrari 312T4 Gilles Villeneuve,Monaco GP 1979

Manu Della Valle

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Speechless mate,absolutely fantastic.....not into cars but that is stunning mate,really :D.

I have to agree with old Fred, fantastic bit of modelling and painting, and your not the first one to have trouble with metal primer, I,m firmly convinced that metal primer needs an undercoat of a different primer before applying, I had the same trouble when applying metal primer to the metal engine of my 1/16th Tiger tank. I ended up taking the flaking parts off, sanding down and using an ordinary white primer then finishing off with metal primer and gentle buffing, it produced the effects I was looking for

Tank you @Fred Karno's Army!^_^

@Davejb,many thanks for your kind words,mate,if you have problems with metal primer give Vallejo's a go or use Halford's automotive etching primer!

Gonna post more of my build today!

Cheers

Manu

The aluminum tub is finally done, with all the PE bits super-glued to it!I forgot I had several cans of Gunze Mr. Metal Primer in one of my closets and used that to seal the bare metal.This product's great but must be used with fast light passes else it would go on too heavily,and being some sort of resin it would easily cover the small details!I've made this mistake myself and had to soak the trub in Gunze Organic Thinner to remove the varnish and start over again.
The contrast between the aluminum tub and the nickel-plated PE parts is still too stark and unrealistic anyway,therefore I'll treat this assembly as it was made of styrene and paint it with Alclads and Gunze Super Metallics,the latter being definitely more resistant to repeated handling than the former.
Cheers

P9021281_zpsfw5jtuzt.jpg

P9021282_zpsc7ei5tbf.jpg

P9021283_zpsptq1xysv.jpg

A little update.I've given the tub a coat of Gunze Supermetallic Aluminum,followed by a coat of Gunze Supermister Supermetallic Superfine Supersilver.I'll let it cure thoroughly and in the next days I'll highligh the centers of the panels with Alclad Polished Aluminum and paint gussets and reinforcement panels with different metallic shades or mist them with Alclad transparent medium with a drop of smoke or transparent yellow.A little dry-brushing with some printer's ink will highligh the edges while washes will add depth.The finish is not grainy like it appears in the pictures,blame it to my photographic skills...or lack thereof!  
While the "painting mode" was on I have given the engine block a first coat of Alclad Pale Burnt Metal and I've painted the transmission Alclad Pale Gold.Tomorrow I'll tone down the engine block with several shades of steel and aluminum while I'll tone down the gawdy golden finish of the transmission with Alclad Pale Burnt Metal to simulate the typical "Champagne" hue of the actual castings.
A lot still has to be added but it's starting to look interesting IMO,and I'm having a real great time with this kit to boot,which is a bonus!

P9031281_zpszxjgdbpi (1).jpg

P9031281_zpszxjgdbpi.jpg

P9031282_zpshmfgvb6k.jpg

P9031283_zpspamjt1jo.jpg

P9031290_zpsakwhixuv.jpg

P9031294_zpszhe2fhev.jpg

P9031295_zpscy9tf3pf.jpg

P9031296_zpsdovgasms.jpg

These kits look gorgeous even OOB but there's always room for that little "touch" here and there.For examnple the PE mesh for the radator isn't too convincing IMO,therefore I've discarded the kit's PE parts and used Hobby Design's Radiator Mesh (HD 02-0180), which is spot-on!

P9061282_zpsbni1spwv.jpg

P9061284_zpse6yg2ozg.jpg

P9061285_zps4sg16tit.jpg

A lot of masking for a thirty-secs paintiNg job.I've painted the steel gussets Alclad Stainless Steel to start adding different dashes of colour here and there!

P9071280_zps6fdb7kjq.jpg

P9071283_zpsdihax8be.jpg

Last night I've mixed some very-low curing clear epoxy resin,adding a few drops of Tangerine and lemon inks trying to get one of the yellowish shades of fiberglass used by Ferrari SEFAC.
This resin has a very long pot life but after it's been mixed it must be left alone thirty-to-fortyfive minutes to degas....I regret selling my vacuum pump!  
As my friend Murphy would have had it,both "trays" came out of the molds with a much annoying air bubble,therefore I've mixed more resin,hoping not to have more nasty surprises tomorrow!

P9071285_zpsjlifxaeq.jpg

P9081280_zpspmyyc6we.jpg

P9081282_zpsyxjgbxpr.jpg

P9081284_zpsltxy0sjp.jpg

I've added the first washes,picked a few details (lotsa masking involved!) and all in all I think that it's turning out OK!
I've added a few pieces of BMF on the filling port of the nearside tank as it was often done to prevent accidental unscrewing of the cap!
These kits are addictive...no burn out to speak of even working on it ten hours a day!It's the most enjoyable modelling experience I've ever had...PERIOD!
With cables,wires,pipes,battery,oil filter and stuff I'm sure that it'll become to look busy enough to raise a little interest!
Thank you for stopping,watching and commenting!

P9091280_zpsrlf2qvdi.jpg

P9091283_zps2ldywmix.jpg

P9091285_zpsldqwh9yk.jpg

P9091288_zpsdvlzn2up.jpg

P9091289_zpsandv4dbh.jpg

P9091290_zps4vhsv4l5.jpg

P9091291_zps06jmhmjn.jpg

P9091294_zpsk7a8pefg.jpg

A few fitting trials with more details added or painted.I've discovered why on many a MFH "Hybrid" 312T4 there's a gap between the upper and the lolwer bodies;it all boils down to the front magnets locating sockets and to the slight warpage of the lower halves of the air conduits.Firmly securing the tub to the lower body and doing the same with the side oil and water radiators will solve the problem!The front wheels center locks have been left in firearms blueing solution trying to achieve the desired resluts as far as finish is concerbed and wear and tear will be added later on!
Cheers

P9111282_zpsgpifknrb.jpg

P9111283_zpse8dpelwu.jpg

P9111284_zpsbetssukw.jpg

P9111286_zps6y0vfrdl.jpg

P9111288_zpsxavxj2xv.jpg

P9111289_zps0rz0u3ap.jpg

A little update on the engine....I realized too late that I had put the decal of the UFI oil filter the other way 'round!¬¬:(:S>:(>:(>:(>:(

P9121280_zpsdyqcj7gu.jpg

P9121284_zpsgvecxt0a.jpg

P9121287_zpsmak63rp3.jpg

P9121291_zpsz3dnqpzy.jpg

P9121292_zpsw0lt10wk.jpg

P9121293_zps1f4ujxzd.jpg

I've tried to "weather" the monocoque a bit with a mix of MIG pigments diluted in alcohol and airbrushed ALL OVER the tub until it looked like a Stealth Bomber.The dust has been removed patiently with a wide,soft brush letting some in the crevices and rivets.In this case less is more and a "neutral" medium oughta be used in order not to damage the mists of Alclad Airframe Aluminum.The base coat of Gunze Mr. Super-Metallic-San is very hard and durable,not so the Alclads!
DON'T EVEN THINK TO USE TAMIYA SMOKE as I did in the first place,even diluted,because when you'll remove the excess an invisible film will remain un the surface that will "catalize" the pigments in blotches on the flat surfaces and around raised details (that would be a pro if they only wouldn't be 1mm thick!) and in order to remove them you'll have to use a brush dipped in Windex...ask me how I know!

P9131280_zpsqnq6xwsv.jpg

P9131281_zps0vg6cttr.jpg

P9131282_zpsvvja2ojv.jpg

The kit's shock absorber were terribly cast,therefore I've scratchbuilt new ones and cast them in resin!

P9171280_zpsgcmdotxs.jpg

P9171281_zpskz2insjr.jpg

P9171284_zpsrghp90u8.jpg

P9181298_zpslqayo37e.jpg

I'm currently assembling the transmission and here's one of the disc/caliper/scoop assemblies covered with brake "dust" as will be the rest of the parts exposed to oil,water and dirt;my car will be an "after race" one!The picture doesn't do the "dusting" any justice,though.To produce a perfectly matt surface and fix the pigment without "washing" them away or make them look satin is a lenghty and boring job but the result are very satisfying!

P9181291_zpszjf0y6sf.jpg

The tranny is completely assembled now,I've covered the micro Phillips screws with PE nuts soacked in firearms blueing solution and added a 0,6mm tube on the rear wich isnt mentioned in the instructions....bought a few yards of this tube off eBay from a Chinese seller for US$3 INCLUDING shipping!    
I've started adding the brake dust and other dirt which accumulate during a race,it's dust and it may look overdone from the pictures but it looks  ok to me!

P9181280_zpsxmsft2ep.jpg

P9181281_zpssfajnm9a.jpg

P9181282_zpsw9owkjfm.jpg

Some progress on the engine,sorry for the terrible pictures.The more I build this kit the more I love F1 car modelling.I'd have felt sick working around the clock on another tank or AC but I've found that working on cars is another story altogether...the more I work on it the more I can't wait to start another one...a 126CK perhaps!
The fuel lines drive me crazy;years of long-range rifle shooting with 40x/50x scopes has taken its toll on my right retina and after a while I can't see properly anymore,I don't use optivisors even if I think I should!
To duplicate dust and grime I mix one part MIG Black pigment with two parts MIG Light Dust,ten drops of Gunze Acrylic matt varnish (to help the mix stay put even if it gets scratched by something) and thin the mix with 60 to 70 drops of Tamiya Acrylic Thinner.I mist several layers with my Olympos HP100B with a 0,2mm nozzle at 10/15 psi.When I'm satisfied I take a look at what I've done and if it's overdone or if I need to wipe some areas clean,like the brake discs in this paticular case,a soft flat brush moisted with Tamiya Acrylic thinner will take care of that,for highlighs drybrushing with a stiffer brush will do the trick.When I'm finally pleased with the results I fix the dust and grime with some pastel/chalk fixative misted with the airbrush;I NEVER use it straight from the can!I lightly mist it at 15 PSI from about 6".To add scratches or to remove the dirt from edges and such the same flat brush and more Tamiya thinner will help you achieve the results you're after...simple and (hopefully!) effective!

12004971_10206622970125761_3879495388057439964_n_zpsqdwyqqk1.jpg

12038039_10206622970485770_3941647902529029166_n_zpsgftaubzy.jpg

12038353_10206622968805728_3446778978957688408_n_zpsyauik8mb.jpg

12042922_10206623051847804_2788699260203287703_n_zpskvzd2uh0.jpg

12049384_10206623052367817_1959282795846256398_n_zpslwlx6dby.jpg

The engine's nearing completion...getting close yet still no cigar!I don't know,perhaps it's me,having spent a long time around the real cars there's something that just doesn't look correct---I'll soon find that out anyway!^_^

ok 1_zpswu4jjnrw.jpg

ok 2_zpsmddcwqtn.jpg

ok 3_zpsbj8acc4e.jpg

ok 5_zpszv8qcsro.jpg

P9191285_zpsymxpnqmm (1).jpg

P9191289_zpsrax5cbxh.jpg

The new shock absorber(s)...it's been worth my while scratchbuilding a new unit to be cast in resin rather than trying to turn a misaligned,bent and oval thing into a straight,round one!Further,my shock absorber has compression and return (no adjustable,of course LOL!),thereore it'll be easier to mount them even after the whole transmission has been assembled...just "click them into place!  The red springs may not be 100% accurate (I've seen them on "Clienti" cars while the ones used on the race cars were mainly black with paint dots to identify weights and ratios) but I like the idea of adding a dash of colour!
Cheers

P9201282_zps8qemtrnu.jpg

P9201279_zps9vc1lmb2.jpg

P9201281_zpsaufplzhx.jpg

To be totally honest I think if you were to just post these pictures up without reference background of scale , people would think they were looking at the real thing, your meticulous attention to detail is quite staggering. I would dearly like you to consider entering this build into a modelling competition , and I would say there,s every chance of receiving high marks or even top awards. Your modelling ability and skill is, in my opinion, a cut above the rest.

Random progress!
The decal on the fire extinguisher has come out particularly nice IMO.It's been laid on with the help of Micro Set and Sol and after it had cured I gave the whole thing a few wet coats of Gunze Acrylic Clear Coat Gloss (501) decanted and heavily diluted with Gunze Levelling Thinner...it goes on like a dream but it'll take a few hours before it'll be immune to fingerprints...ask me how  I know!

P9201281_zpsl6xbroek.jpg

P9201282_zpstu1qah27.jpg

P9201283_zpsvwleju2c.jpg

P9201286_zpsbzjoxqaw.jpg

P9201288_zpsjoyi0rq5.jpg

P9201291_zpshmcsudy3.jpg

The rear wall of these cars was covered with a layer of 1cm thick self-adesive sound/heat insulating foam (no asbestos) covered with aluminum,just like I had on my road-going 512BB and 328GTB,nothing "fancy" that only goes to prove that a few products were used on Racing and production cars alike!Many "Clienti" cars and the ones still in Maranello now have to make do with a newer product,since the original insulating foam isn't produced anymore.
Very often it was secured with rivets to prevent the drag forces to tear it in pieces or tear it off altogether!In my pictures it looks like a chase-grater thanks to my photographich skills (or lack thereof) and the ever-present flash,but trust me when I say that it's to scale  !
It's not a difficult detail to replicate;just take a piece of household aluminum,put it on a sheet of sandpaper (coarseness according to scale!) and pass the back of your nail on it as if you were playing your guitar.On the real thing there was a mix of "negative" and "positive" dimples,I've had to make do with only "positive" in that I needed a much surface for the foiling glue as possible!A word of advice;DON'T WEATHER the panel with "aggressive" washes because you may not see them but there are thousands of tiny holes all over the surface and the solvents) seeping through them may affect the foiling glue!
As a side note it helps hiding the unsightly gap between the tub and the rear wall!    
Don't be too fussy with precise cuts because these panels were cut to shape when needed from rolls of material...I still have one piece somewhere and I'll post a picture or two as reference!

P9211279_zpsgaztpmau.jpg

P9211280_zps7ecyivl3.jpg

P9211281_zpsa4focc25.jpg

The cluster with the toggle switches and the buttons on the port side of the front roll-over cage.As far as the labelling is concerned I've taken a shortcut and instead of trying to make micro "dymo" stickers I've put to good use some stencils from a 1/72 Czech Air Force Mig 21!

P9221280_zpshdua1ciy.jpg

P9221281_zpsq6plipjg.jpg

P9221286_zps9sacgfc5.jpg

P9221287_zpsm8nfmvpr.jpg

I've attached the engine to the monocoque with its passing screw and I've glued the transmission to the engine block.When I fitted the rear wheels little did I know that I was in for a NASTY surprise;the screws were too long and they made the rear wheels wobble in all directions!>:(

P9221281_zpsxseshcmh.jpg

P9221282_zpsgvbkori6.jpg

P9221283_zpsbw4bbm1h.jpg

P9221284_zpsndh9di1h.jpg