Where's my promotion?

Manu Della Valle

I've reached in excess of 870 posts yet I'm always a Staff Sgt!I've never liked Officers but a man  can always change his mind,can't he???????

Cheers

Staff Sgt. Manu?

• Upvote 3

xDI knew in the first place you'd have gone for that hook,line,sinker,rod and reel!?????????

image.jpg

Edited by Manu Della Valle
  • Upvote 1

We can always start a petition...it's all the rage nowadays!

You're still a Staff Sergeant too...wouldn't you rather be an Officer?Higher wages and a mess all for ourselves!

Edited by Manu Della Valle
The motherfucking Italian autocorrector!It can barely write in Italian but it corrects you if you write in English!?

They say there's a troopship just leaving bombay, bound for old blighty shore
Heavily laden with time expired men, bound for the land they adore.
There's many an airman just finishing his time, there's many a twerp signing on.
You'll get no promotion this side of the ocean, so cheer up my lads, bless 'em all.

Bless em all, bless em all, the long and the short and the tall
Bless all the sergeants and w. o. ones,
Bless all the corp'rals and their blinkin sons,
'Cause we're saying goodbye to them all, as back to their billets they crawl
You'll get no promotion this side of the ocean, so cheer up my lads, bless 'em all

They say if you work hard you'll get better pay
We've heard all that before
Clean up your buttons and polish your boots
Scrub out the barrack room floor
There's many a rookie has taken it in, hook line and sinker an 'all
You'll get no promotion this side of the ocean
So cheer up my lads bless 'em all.

Bless 'em all, bless 'em all, the long and the short and the tall,
'cos we're saying goodbye to them all, as back to their billets they crawl
You'll get no promotion this side of the ocean, so cheer up my lads, bless'em all

Now they say that the sergeant's a very nice chap, oh what a tale to tell.
Ask him for leave on a Saturday night and he'll pay your fare home as well.
There's many an airman has blighted his life through writing rude words on the wall
You'll get no promotion this side of the ocean
So cheer up my lads bless 'em all

Bless 'em all, bless 'em all, the long and the short and the tall,
'Cause we're saying goodbye to them all, as back to their billets they crawl
You'll get no promotion this side of the ocean, so cheer up my lads, bless'em all

Nobody knows what a twerp you have been, so cheer up my lads bless 'em all

• Upvote 4

Ok..ok...don't wanna be an officer

anymore!^_^

• Brigadier
On 27/06/2016 at 12:11, Manu Della Valle said:

I've reached in excess of 870 posts yet I'm always a Staff Sgt!I've never liked Officers but a man  can always change his mind,can't he???????

Cheers

Staff Sgt. Manu?

You can't just become an officer, you need to be commissioned to become an officer... ;)@Manu Della Valle

• 5 months later...

Again sorry for the late entry...but following Richard Winters  101st Airborne "Screaming Eagles" 506 PIR....Image above.....I would like to add some images of his Memorial in Normandy Taken by me 2 years ago....It is Superb...!!!...

Also the woods of Foy Belgium, where the 506 were in the foxholes as can be seen in the image, many items to be found if you dig down to 4-5 feet, I have found live grenades, mags of "Live" M1 rounds ( I have), Morphine ampoules, and many items left behind....exactly like in the film "Band of Brothers", very strange to be in this wood, see the foxholes they all dug in the middle of Winter and managed to survive..Incredible how these young men actually fought and held off the enemy despite the terrible losses!.....Copyright of Ian R Bridle - www.edenbridgetown.com 

DICK 02.jpg

DICK W 101.jpg

IMGP3087.JPG

IMGP3086.JPG

• Upvote 1

I,ve been to both, plus all over Normandy and Belgium, but I have to say if you are digging in Foy woods, thats a no no, There are very strict rules concerning digging in certain areas of Belgium, and Foy woods is one of them. They are patrolled by Forestry workers and a regular police presence. If you get caught you will be facing a very heavy fine and possibly a term in jail. They consider any digging there a total disrespect to the memories of all that fought and died there. You also risk having your name entered as a "Black Digger" and being banned from entering Belgium stamped on your passport. They will also charge you with theft, especially if you are found with any personal items in your possession from the woods. When I was there a police officer actually watched me and a mate the whole time we were there and stopped us from actually standing in one of the foxholes, he also asked to see into our vehicle to see if we had any digging tools, which we had,nt and we struck up a conversation with him, thats how we knew what would happen

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Many Thanks for your very startling reply...Well I did not expect such a serious response from the Forestry Commision or Police...OK I have just been lucky enough to dig there twice and no problems....the farmer came past in his tractor and we waved and shouted" Bonjour"...I have items from what I found a rusted M1 mag with accessories, I forgot to take the x6  Morphine ampoules found 4 feet down and the x2 US grenades...still Live with pin...but left them by a telegraph pole and marked for the Bomb Disposal & Farmer...!

IMGP3088.JPG

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Upvote 1

Another reason for not digging there, unexploded ordnance, a careless clout with a spade, and all thats left is a red mist where you were standing,dont forget, German shells could well be left there and they would be a lot more powerful than a grenade, also its a good job you left the Morphine as well, get stopped with that and its a possession of drugs charge, the Morphine they used back then was pretty strong and you would have one hell of a job explaining why you had it, where you got it, and for what purpose, so they would have you on numerous charges, I believe Steve T can give you info on where you can and can,t dig in Europe

• Upvote 2

Many Thanks Dave....Of course I understand the dangerous situation involved, but even the most careful of us can be blown to hell. I have found so many WW1 "Live" shells over 30 years and have always left them in a pile by a telegraph pole/ or with the farmers lot by the side of the road as he would use yellow spray paint with the words Obus...so the Deminieurs? can find them...as regards to Morphine...Yes, I could of had a big problem at the Doune with them, but were left there.

Thanks again...IanB

harvest of death live shells found.jpg

• Upvote 2