My 1941 dated British side cap

Afrikakorpsrat64

My box of goodies have arrived from @DAK D, and I Am very excited to share some of it with you all. This is my very first British WW2 side cap, really loving my British kits! 1941 date, named and officer candidate. @DAK D, anything you can touch on regarding this cap would be most appreciated and thanks!

cp1.jpg

cp2.jpg

cp3.jpg

• Upvote 2

Very nice example, notice the course material used for candidates, prior to passing out, until they had to buy their own, that would have scratched the forehead like mad, just like battledress and the rough wool  shirts

• Upvote 1

Lovely cap....and to have a name with it is amazing....:)

I've got a couple of repro caps..., but will get an original one day...:)

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Davejb said:

Very nice example, notice the course material used for candidates, prior to passing out, until they had to buy their own, that would have scratched the forehead like mad, just like battledress and the rough wool  shirts

Hi @Davejb,

The band of serge is shirt material and I can attest to your statement about BD serge irritating the skin, as I have worn full battledress on many occasions in the past.

D

• Upvote 1

Yep so have I , and on a hot day its absolute murder, even the bloody tie was hairy wool

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Davejb said:

Yep so have I , and on a hot day its absolute murder, even the bloody tie was hairy wool

@Davejb, YOU had it tough??? when I was a kid, my mum knitted a pair of these for me using Mohair wool.......had to wear them at least once a week at the school pool...gawd...THAT was itchy....:)

I lost the belt and they would NOT stay up on exiting the pool...LOL....

swimming trunks.jpg

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 2

• Major General

When I was in the RAF cadets, we had to wear old 1949 pattern BD.not too bad with a flannel shirt underneath, but the trousers itched like f***! O.o

then, when I later joined the TA, we had woolly shirts which were like serge, only rougher.why did the British army always have to be so flippin' basic?!! 9_9the later corron type shirts are so much more comfortable.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Bil4338 said:

Wee Norrie itchybaws!:D

@Bil4338    LOL....You better believe it.... Oh the pain, and the ignominity of it all....:)

• Upvote 1