Latest relic digging video

Steve T

Video of last Sunday's dig at the British Army dump permission is up! Shows lots of relics being recovered as well as the 'seam' of WW2 relics running through the ground. :)

• Upvote 1

Cracking video @Steve T, what a find....

I presume these are all WW2 items, BUT, why would they have dumped precious metals like all that brass during wartime, or even after,  when it's worth money or can be reused, surely they didn't have enough brass to let them throw so much away...?? 

Never worked it out Norrie. Some items like the water chests for Browning/Vickers have had all the brass tops and caps taken off them, yet they chucked all these brass strips and starter tabs in a hole?? And the rifle butt plates. Lots are steel, but half are brass. We have heard that they burnt a lot of stuff in the dump before covering it over, so probably just being lazt.

Out of sight, out of mind and all that! Harder work to recover the brass,........ :):) so probably just being damn lazy.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the diggers had a great time. I would love to do something this, but nothing around here that I know of. 

On 7/3/2016 at 21:30, Steve T said:

Never worked it out Norrie. Some items like the water chests for Browning/Vickers have had all the brass tops and caps taken off them, yet they chucked all these brass strips and starter tabs in a hole?? And the rifle butt plates. Lots are steel, but half are brass. We have heard that they burnt a lot of stuff in the dump before covering it over, so probably just being lazt.

Out of sight, out of mind and all that! Harder work to recover the brass,........ :):) so probably just being damn lazy.

I can see the thinking in that, been there done that....:)