Police Inspector's steel helmet

Bil4338

• Major General

Here's a nice example I've had for a while now.quite scarce to see these helmets in such nice condition.its named inside and also has an inner cap inserted which I don't want to try to remove to see the liner maker, it's quite a snug fit!

this helmet was stored in a Worcestershire country house's attic together with another plain blue battered helmet and a gas rattle.probably boxed up which is why it's in such excellent condition.oddly it's more of a light grey than an off-White colour.must've used whatever was to hand.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hi @Bil4338,

That is a rare Police helmet to find these days and it's in great condition too.

Thanks for sharing :)

D

• Upvote 1

Excellent Bil, an old Bill helmet and one you could actually trace via Police archives, that very light grey could be the result of the lead based paint used at the time, these were supposed to be white, very rare to see one in this condition outside of a police museum. It was pretty usual for Chief Superintendents at divisional level or HQ to have a display of different police helmets from all over the world,I remember my C/Supt having a display which included wartime helmets as well as the more modern ones, but he was a bit of a collector

• Upvote 1

• Major General

The police museum in Glasgow has some lovely examples of steel and cork helmets with tons of other stuff.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an aside gents......talking about old bosses in the Polis and displays, in the mid 80's, the Scottish Police College at Tulliallan in Fife used to have a display cabinet which included a WW2 Rural German Police Shako! Somebody clocked it , thought it un PC ( if you'll pardon the pun ) and it was removed...in fact the whole display was removed. Often wondered where they all went.

• Upvote 1

• Major General

I remember that display when I went there on a visit with the cadets.so it was there longer than you think.I recall the Nazi Police shakos too, in fact they were the focus of my attention as a young lad who could never afford or find one at that time!:(

• Upvote 1

Dont forget that a large number of these displays were the personal property of the residing Chief Superintendent so when he went so did the collection, It left a lot of bare walls, some collected helmets, others Police badges from all over the World, some even collected old lead filled police truncheons and even handcuffs. God knows what someone would do with Truncheons and handcuffs, (well there are a few ideas I could mention) but in the main I daresay theres a few Ex police wives who have put their foot down and consigned their husbands bit and bobs to the lofts!!!

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

Ok so I’m a tad late to this party but I’m always interested to hear about WW2 Police helmet collections and/or documents about Helmet markings specific to certain areas. Our trips to regional Records Offices for our first book didn’t spread to Scotland (sorry - but we did include Scottish Helmets) but if we progress to Book 2 we plan to hit some of the Northern archives and may even make it north of the border. I’m always happy to hear about new sources of helmet marking info.

• Major General

Assume this is Ade Blake, nice to have you here again mate!

I couldn’t possibly say.....but yes! I met Norrie at Stoneleigh....it’s all his fault!! 😄