Ships magazines etc

Martin Taylor

Bit of Advice Really please?

I go to alot of sales and i've just acquired 2 mint condition ships newsletters from the USS Wasp printed 1942 - hand produced typewritten with original artwork. Some USAF stuff of a similar nature also and some further British forces magazines wartime from the far east.

I'm wondering of anyone collects such items and if i should offer them for sale? Out of my usual collection range but super interesting to read and amazing condition.

Any opinions?

• Upvote 1

Hi @Martin Taylor, They sound amazing magazines...If you work out a price, I'd be very interested...:)

During WW2 my uncles best friend, Sgt Stan Brooker a Canadian, who had worked his way across the Atlantic to join the RAFVR, he was eventually was posted to 602 sqdn, City of Glasgow, and sent to Malta on the USS Wasp along with his sqdn of Mk5 Spitfires. He was there one day, when while on patrol over Malta was jumped by a german fighter aircraft...his Spitfire was shot up and he baled out...on his way down, the german "pilot" or murderer, turned his aircraft and shot Stan to pieces as he hung under his canopy....this was all seen from the shoreline, a search was done, but nothing was found...That happened in 1942, and was one of the very few documented cases of murder by german pilots...

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Really no excuse for shooting a helpless pilot.most fighter pilots on both sides were fairly chivalrous, but as elsewhere in life, there's always a rotten apple spoiling the barrel.>:(

• Upvote 1

Hi Norrie, I'll post up some photos of them for you to look at later on tonight. i have no idea of what the value would be on items like that so i'll have a think and i'm sure we can work something out if you want them. Watch this space and i'll post photos later...

• Upvote 1

1. Here's everything i have :) Covers followed by sample pages - 2 x Flight Magazine, 2 x USS Wasp Magazines & a last Issue of "Phoenix Magazine" Let me know what you think :)f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f4.jpg

f5.jpg

f6.jpg

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

w6.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

Really no excuse for shooting a helpless pilot.most fighter pilots on both sides were fairly chivalrous, but as elsewhere in life, there's always a rotten apple spoiling the barrel.>:(

Hi @Bil4338, agree mate...from what i've read and been told by guys at Hendon, it was an extremely rare occurrance....There are only a few documented cases of murder by aircraft during the whole of WW2...thank god....that event was "investigated" and seemingly, records were even checked after the war...but with all that was happening, Nuremberg etc etc... they didnt find out who the german pilot was....He was killed/murdered on April 21st 1942.

Edited by Norrie

Hi @Martin Taylor, Fantastic pictures, the mags look really good...:) 

TBH, I would really only need/want the USS Wasp ones, those editions were printed only a couple of weeks before Stan was killed, he might have even read the same copies...:)  ( It would depend of course how long it took the Wasp to sail from Glasgow to Malta ) .... but if they all come as a "package" then, so be it....so, if you decide a price, maybe you could PM me with it.?? 

Thanks Martin....:)

BTW, Got the Squadron wrong....Bad error on my part...was 601 Sqdn...NOT 602...:)

Edited by Norrie
More info...