Air dropped audanace?

Martinf

Hi just purchased this item but the seller had no idea what it was and neither do I. it is 212mm in length and about 30mm in diameter I cant see any markings.

thanks in advance

Martin

DSC01599.JPG

DSC01604.JPG

DSC01613.JPG

DSC01612.JPG

DSC01606.JPG

DSC01610.JPG

• Upvote 2

Looks more like a mortar round to me, the rear fins have seen better days but there are bands around it which suggests fired from a large scale barrel, and the rear base has the propellant charge primer

• Upvote 3

I forget who uses them, maybe France or Germany? I do know a bunch where found in Yugoslavia but I dont think they originate from there. Anyways Dave is correct, its a sub-caliber training mortar. Can find them for sale often on French websites. 

• Upvote 1

It is a French Losfeld training mortar. Once again thanks guys 

• Upvote 2

It was used between 1955 and 1970 it had a smoke charge for marking and was reusable.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I have a similar one but wider round the rings...weighs about 3kgs but I am really unsure where it was fabricated and what country?

Best Wishes to You...Desert Rat

DSC_0001.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old post, but it caught my attention.  The image posted by Martinf is definitely a tube launched mortar round.  The annular sealing rings & the holes in the tail fin assy. for the propellant charge.  It certainly is a little guy--30 mm.  Prior to this, the smallest that I've seen is 60 mm.  A mortar that small definitely would be man-portable to give infantry soldiers an extra punch.

What nationality??  Good question.  It's the mystery-solving part of collecting that makes it so challenging.

• Upvote 2

Hello Boonie,

I bought this France some 8 years ago, and the Brocante seller mentioned it was either French or Russian....I had no Idea I just likes it. But it weighed about 3kgs and about 30 -35cms long...That's all I know really!!

• Upvote 2