Beach finds

Peter Timowski

After buying my first metal detector at the weekend, i headed down the shore this morning. Very happy with my finds, 36, 303. Rounds and 3, 20mm rounds 

20160726_140534-1.jpg

20160726_140627.jpg

Edited by Peter Timowski
  • Upvote 1

Nice finds. I have just returned from the east coast. The only thing I found on the beaches was a frigging sunburn. 

• Upvote 3

Very nice and a good start :) I still get the same buzz digging out a 303 as I did 20+ years ago, and I have more than 3,000 of them now!! The excitement never fades..... :)

• Upvote 2

I went back today for another go, only get an hour and a half before the tide turns. Two of the 20mm's were on the surface side by side.

20160730_173930-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

:D:D:D Good beach you have there :)

Interestingly, in your first picture, you had British and American made 20mms :)

• Upvote 1

Different makers, am i right in thinking the ones that look like RC are RG for Radway Green? Dont know what the other makers are.

Regards Peter 

20160731_120033.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nope, you're not... :D

RH -  Raleigh Cycle Co., Ltd., Nottingham, England, UK

RC -  Raleigh Cycle Co., Ltd.,Nottingham, England, UK 

H - Hall's Telephone Co. Ltd.

BBC - Barking Brassware Co., Barking, Essex, UK but could also be Bridgeport Brass Co., USA,  and a couple of others......still debated to this day!

In your first picture of 20mm headstamps..........

ST - ROF Steeton, Steeton, West Yorkshire

ASC - A.S. Campbell Co., Inc., East Boston, MA

:D Hope that helps.

Nip and have a look at the below thread if you haven't already, one I put together to help the new collectors among us.

• Upvote 2

Great information, thank you Steve much appreciated.

No problem :) Glad to help. Knowledge is useless unless shared :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Best day yet, went this morning and these were just lying on the surface and in rock pools. I could not fit any more in my bag. Photos are before and after a light clean. 

20160920_112740-1.jpg

20160920_173252.jpg

• Upvote 1

Totally awesome! I have to try and wangle an invite to this beach of yours......

****flutters eye-lashes and smiles suggestively*****

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Steve T said:

Totally awesome! I have to try and wangle an invite to this beach of yours......

****flutters eye-lashes and smiles suggestively*****

Any time you ever get up this way, give me a shout. It would be  great to get out with a fellow enthusiast.  

It was by chance, i got talking with a fisherman who was digging bait. He asked what i was looking for then said in a broad cumbrian accent ' the wants to git the sell down theyer on a big tide marra, you wont need that thing'.  As he nodded his head to my detector.And he was right. Every where i looked they were on the surface. I have been in the right area but bigger tides are better.

Found a different maker today also. First and only one, i seem to have most of the orthers listed. Any info on this steve.

Cheers 

20160920_174117-1.jpg

Another American made one :) 

Dura Division of Detroit Harvester Corp., Toledo, Ohio, USA, on 20mm Oerlikon and Hispano 1942-44.

Love the marks on the base. These are made when the shell is driven into the breech and then when it is extracted :) 

PS  If I knew where you lived I would !!!

• Upvote 1

Oh, and the ones with the bent in necks.......this is done when they don't quite clear the mechanism before the next round is chambered. You see similar bending on 7.92s fired through an MG42 :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Steve T said:

Another American made one :) 

Dura Division of Detroit Harvester Corp., Toledo, Ohio, USA, on 20mm Oerlikon and Hispano 1942-44.

Love the marks on the base. These are made when the shell is driven into the breech and then when it is extracted :) 

PS  If I knew where you lived I would !!!

Im in Workington Cumbria, the area i have been looking is what was known as hudson bay. These i think would of been fired from the lockheed hudson flying from silloth. Canadian and RAF crews.

25 minutes ago, Steve T said:

Oh, and the ones with the bent in necks.......this is done when they don't quite clear the mechanism before the next round is chambered. You see similar bending on 7.92s fired through an MG42 :)

I allways wondered about that,  i thought it was maybe to eject a spent round but others were still perfect. Now i know ?

3 minutes ago, Fred Karno's Army said:

Am I right @Peter Timowski there's a Hudson or Boston that pranged in the sea off their,I remember it was on its back if I remember you could see it at low tide.

I know that a number were lost at sea but i dont know of any remains that are visable today on the Cumbrian coast.  Here is a picture of one further down the coast in Morcombe bay. There does not seem to be much information, other than numbers lost. 

Screenshot_2016-09-20-20-27-14-1.png

Guest Fred Karno's Army
  • That's the one I am thinking of,I am in Morecambe :(,may be Barrow it was off,spent a lot of time sailing in the bay.

That's rather a long way for me, (Leicestershire)!!

If you any feel like trading some of your 20mm just let me know. Have plenty of things to trade that could take your fancy :) 

You may see what I mean if you look at the below......

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Steve T said:
20 minutes ago, Steve T said:

That's rather a long way for me, (Leicestershire)!!

If you any feel like trading some of your 20mm just let me know. Have plenty of things to trade that could take your fancy :) 

You may see what I mean if you look at the below......

Bit of a trek up here. Yeah i would part with a few. I would be intrested in a 2cm flak casing or something german? I will sort some different makers and see what youthink.

Cheers