Birthday trip to the army dump!

Steve T

My lovely wife asked what I wanted to do on my birthday. 'Go digging of course!' I replied.........

So today I began the last year in my forties, which I celebrated by visiting the British army dump site. The landowner joined me as well and we had a great morning pottering about. Well, when I say pottering, I dug like a man possessed and the landowner did the riddling :)

I hit a patch where there were one or two bakelite spike bayonet scabbards, along with LE nose caps, the usual starter tabs and a seam of Kerr sling buckles. Then I switched location and found that the Vickers 50cal seam we found on the last dig did indeed stop......but started again about a foot further on!! This seam was in great shape with only very minor surface corrosion on the brass, which rubbed off easily with a gloved finger.

A few hours later I was knackered but happy, having filled two buckets with stuff. I then went back to the landowner's place for a cuppa and he very kindly and generously gave me some of the stranger relics he had recently recovered from the site!

A great day and some superb relics :)

First set of pictures starting on the group shot were my finds, second set, (starting with another group shot), are what the landowner gave me :):)

DSC_1585.JPG

DSC_1587.JPG

DSC_1588.JPG

DSC_1589.JPG

DSC_1590.JPG

DSC_1591.JPG

DSC_1592.JPG

DSC_1593.JPG

DSC_1594.JPG

DSC_1595.JPG

DSC_1596.JPG

DSC_1597.JPG

DSC_1598.JPG

DSC_1599.JPG

DSC_1600.JPG

DSC_1601.JPG

DSC_1602.JPG

DSC_1603.JPG

DSC_1604.JPG

DSC_1605.JPG

DSC_1606.JPG

DSC_1608.JPG

DSC_1609.JPG

The dump :) 

Along with the K98 butt plates and the K98 trigger and mag housing

The cleaning has started on Wednesdays birthday dig finds. Got lots of stuff soaking in citric acid and lots in the rock tumbler. This lot have had an hour in citric then whizzed over with the old wire brush attachment on my drill.

Some nicely marked Lee-Enfield oil bottles, along with one shorter Sten oil bottle. Interesting to see Dominion Arsenal (Canada) marked on one.....only ever seen it on cartridges.

The Vickers 303 starter tabs are fairly standard except for the two I've put to one side. I have a couple of hundred of these and they are always marked with manufacturer, date, calibre and number of rounds, (not always all this info, but most do). The two to one side though are very unusual as they appear to be marked with unit info!!!  Green Howards and Royal West Kents? Never seen them unit marked before.

The Bakelite Lee-Enfield spike bayonet scabbards have cleaned up nicely as well :)

Oh, anyone any idea what the little brass 'frame' is off? :)

DSC_1613.JPG

DSC_1614.JPG

DSC_1623.JPG

DSC_1625.JPG

DSC_1626.JPG

DSC_1621.JPG

DSC_1615.JPG

DSC_1616.JPG

DSC_1617.JPG

DSC_1618.JPG

DSC_1619.JPG

DSC_1620.JPG

DSC_1628.JPG

DSC_1630.JPG

• Upvote 1

I,ve seen that frame before and I,m buggered if I can remember what its from!!!!!!!!!!! annoying!!!!!

Cleaning of Wednesday's finds continues......

We have in the below pictures, Luger magazine, K98 butt plates, Browning MG mount, Browning M1910/22 slide, K98 trigger and mag housing, combination tool, (not sure of which weapon yet), rear sight distance marker from Vickers MG, Lee-Enfield No 1 and No 4 tiny pieces of barrel, rear sights from Vetterli Vitali rifle, Lee-Enfield No 1 nose caps, (note the one at the top with the extended bayonet lug), Lewis spade grips and finally Lee-Enfield training rifle trigger/mag and bolt, (non-functioning training aids so not section 5). :):):)

DSC_1754.JPG

DSC_1757.JPG

DSC_1758.JPG

DSC_1759.JPG

DSC_1760.JPG

DSC_1761.JPG

DSC_1762.JPG

DSC_1765.JPG

DSC_1766.JPG

Vetterli vitala rear sight.JPG

DSC_1767.JPG

DSC_1769.JPG

DSC_1771.JPG

DSC_1772.JPG

More cleaned bits from last weeks dig. Some nice Long Lee butt plates along with a few Lee-Enfield ones. The Long Lee ones are all nicely marked. :)

DSC_1929.JPG

DSC_1930.JPG

DSC_1931.JPG

DSC_1932.JPG

DSC_1933.JPG

DSC_1934.JPG

DSC_1935.JPG

DSC_1936.JPG

DSC_1937.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

More cleaned stuff from the dig a few weeks back. Usual Kerr sling buckles, LE sling and Springfield buckles. LE oil bottle. Handles from Mk 2 Sten mag loader. 303s, including one complete inspection round, (no percussion cap and cartridge contains a wooden round to position the bullet correctly). More starter tabs from Vickers 50cal as well as some 303 ones as well, including the Mk 3 variant.

Nothing overly spectacular, but I have got another marked 303 cloth belt starter tab. This one appears to be 1st Foresters.

Also one unidentified bit. Reminds me of a candle snuffer or possibly a fuze cover. Could even be a barrel end cover. Appears to have Arabic writing on it as well. Turkish Mauser maybe? Let me know if you recognise it.

DSC_3330.JPG

DSC_3331.JPG

DSC_3332.JPG

DSC_3335.JPG

DSC_3333.JPG

DSC_3334.JPG

DSC_3336.JPG

DSC_3337.JPG

DSC_3338.JPG

• Upvote 1

• Major General

Looks like a Mauser barrel protector right enough, assume it's for a WW1 weapon, as that is indeed old Turkish Arabic script.

Found the little fecker @Bil4338. Rather earlier than I thought. That muzzle cover is Pre WW1 and for either the 1890, 1893, or 1903 Mauser's. Not properly IDd as they are so rare can't find them on the net! Got a pic though :)

20140305_210024.jpg

• Major General

A great little keepsake to have found then! Something out of the ordinary you'll treasure I'm sure.B|:P