SS Helm

jeeeensy

Real of fake ???  these are not my forte' so any advice is welcome please.

Thanks in advance.

укр 9.JPG

укр 1.JPG

• Upvote 1

If you could supply the lot no/s and makers mark it might help , Although I.ve lost all my lists, but Bil might have his lists. As it stands I,m on the fence at the moment, dependant on what was paid, where from, any provenance, interior ie liner condition etc. The fact there is minor surface rust appearing and its coming through the decal could be a positive sign although the same result could be achieved with a helmet 30-40 yrs old. SS lids are notoriously difficult to judge from pictures and its one subject I have tried to steer clear of, you really need to know your onions with these, especially due to recent events

Just had a quick look through a helmet book of mine that shows this decal being a first pattern decal, but the bottoms of the runes do not go past the break of the decal, the ones you show do, so I.m a bit wary of this. See what Bil says he might have some other thoughts

• Upvote 2

Could it have been repainted @Davejb as a lot of the rust has paint on it and hasn't rusted through?

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I forgot to ask, does this decal have a silver pulver to the "white" areas, its really hard to see from a photo

• Major General

I'd be wary about this one as the photos aren't too good, they don't show the metallic element of the decal well at all, and on my monitor appears to be a white background.really need close-ups.Im really not an outright expert on these, but gut instinct says get an expert to look at it.afraid I don't have a list of makers/decals/lot no's, would be easier if I did.early pattern SS decals weren't unheard of on M.40's, they do exist, so that's not an issue, depends also on the manufacturer.so far, not a lot of info to go with, so I'm on the fence with this one for now.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...