Aircraft production in Scotland?

Lenny

• Field Marshall
I'm doing a bit of research on my grandfather and namesake. Somerset Light Infantry in WW1, wounded at the Somme, transferred to the ASC MT, joined a Siege Battery Ammunition Column. Turns out he was a lorry driver driving ammunition up to the battery. Wow, scary dangerous job.

Anyway, he was a furniture restorer to trade and my gran said he "made aircraft" in WW2. Only today I got his marriage certificate from 1942 where he is described as "Aircraft Fitter Assembler."

Now, the only Scottish shadow factory I can find on the net is Blackburn, but that's miles away from where he lived. Morris Furniture in Glasgow made wooden propellers and a few other wooden parts but they were based in Glasgow. They mainly employed women, but they wouldn't be described as fitters would they? He lived in Airdrie so of course he could travel, but wonder if anyone knows more about shadow aircraft factories apart from what I've found on the net.????
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Morris Furniture also had a factory near Clachan of Campsie....( Milton of Campsie) it was still working till fairly recently...might still be......could it have been there?? :)

You dont have any idea what sort of aircraft he was building do you?? might help narrow the search down a wee bit, cos, aircraft like the Mosquito were built like a kit, even the smallest joiners shop was producing parts for them....I've seen pictures of a Mossie fueselage coming out of a piano builders factory...:)

There's also a cracking WW2 research page on FB...give them a shout...https://www.facebook.com/groups/103715686627022/

Edited by Norrie
  • Like 1

• Field Marshall
On 04/08/2016 at 14:51, Norrie said:

Morris Furniture also had a factory near Clachan of Campsie....( Milton of Campsie) it was still working till fairly recently...might still be......could it have been there?? :)

You dont have any idea what sort of aircraft he was building do you?? might help narrow the search down a wee bit, cos, aircraft like the Mosquito were built like a kit, even the smallest joiners shop was producing parts for them....I've seen pictures of a Mossie fueselage coming out of a piano builders factory...:)

There's also a cracking WW2 research page on FB...give them a shout...https://www.facebook.com/groups/103715686627022/

Cheers Norrie, haven't a clue. only that he was a furniture restorer by trade before being a fitter/assembler. He lived in Airdrie at the time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to you I haven't read this before now,

But how very interesting it is to read..!

Many Thanks....Desert Rat

I would almost guarantee it was Mosquito body parts he was building, as components for the aircraft were built in furniture factories all over Great Britain, then went to the assembly factories from there..:)

• Like 1

Hello Norrie,

Many thanks for the info.....I never realized they made the Mosquito parts from all over the UK....Best to you.....Desert Rat/ Ian

• Like 1