Anthropoid 2016

HetzersGonnaHetz

Really looking forward to this film, coming out next Friday on 12th August, and it is about the days leading up to and the Assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, known to the resistance as Anthropoid, hence the title. Even though someone has added SS collar tabs to his general tabs on the poster this is looking to be a good film!

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

hi @HetzersGonnaHetz,

. The 1975 movie "Operation Daybreak" is really good, so this new version is going to really need to be on point in my opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Wow! I need to check that film out at some point, that was an awesome scene, and bloody tense, don't know much about the assassination so hopefully this film will teach me a bit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

This is a did you know......The Czech Agents were incorporated into and trained by the Special Operations Executive. They were based in Arisaig, in the North west Coast of Scotland near Fort William. The training " Houses" still exist but are in Private hands. There is a memorial to the Czech Operations near the beach at Arisaig. I've attached some photos. About 5 years ago Arisaig House ceased as a Hotel and offered self catering. We stayed in one of the apartments....Oh the history....Odette Hallowes.....nee Churchill....Violette Szabo ( Was lucky enough to meet Tania Szabo (daughter) who features in the film Carve Her name with Pride when she lived on the Channel Islands)....Bob Meloubier (who passed away at the beginning of this year)........to name but a few, visited or trained at Arisaig House.

In fact the first time I visited, there was some debris lying on the beach which had been rattled with a few rounds........Believe it or not I also found two US Navy Life belts.....History or what!...Either co operation with the OSS or these aids may have been sourced for the Agents to train with.....if you look at pictures the coves etc lend themselves to canoeing/small boat activity. I remember seeing a picture somewhere which looks like Violette Szabo in a canoe! The B& W pics are of Kubis and Gabcik who were the main agents involved in Anthropoid. The others are German photo's taken at the time of Heydrich's Car, the Church with water pumps placed in the opening and the ID of the Agents outside the church. Sorry they are a bit mixed up but hopefully it will give you a flavour.The village of Lidice was literally raised to the ground in revenge for the assassination. I believe there is a film about this as well.

I have a small website detailing the activities of the SOE and other Clandestine groups ...www.libertesoe.webs.com

Rear of Arisaig.jpg

New front of Arisaig House.jpg

Arisaig Interior (3).jpgarisaig 2009 phone 105.jpg

Roshven Selfcatering.jpgOwners Tribute.jpgArisaig House.jpg

Beach debris.jpgarisaig 2009 phone 036.jpg

Navy Belts (2).JPGNavy Belts.JPG

IMG_0287.JPGIMG_0286.JPG

250.JPGIMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0405.JPGKubi_a_Gab_k.jpg

IMG_0407.JPGIMG_0408.JPGIMG_0410.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Fantastic read that,and something I didn't know.And unbelievable to come across the life preservers.Thanks for sharing.

• 2 years later...

Hello Liberte,

Superb Images and Text regarding the SOE agents sent to assasinate Heydrich, they done the job...but  over 14 SOE were caught, tortured and executed.

I met two of them a few years ago - George Millar and Pearl Witherington (Corniolley) at her French Care home in Chateauvieux, near Tours

To those killed in their duty to their Country...we do Remember Them.

Images I took of the only Concentration Camp in France - Struhof-Natzwieller, where four SOE agents were killed, injected with Phenol (disinfectant) three were dead when Peter Straub piled them in the oven...the fourth girl was still alive when pushed into the oven...Which girl we will never know!

Images sole copyright of Ian R Bridle www.edenbridgetown.com

Best to you...Desert Rat

JUNE 2013 142.JPG

JUNE 2013 194.JPG

JUNE 2013 191.JPG