Insurance on replica firearms

Davejb

A few days ago I met a chap who has been in the re-enacting game for over 50yrs, He,s attended every MO and WAP plus other venues all over the country. He,s now in his 70s and in charge of the Health and safety aspects for most of the re-enacting community. During a conversation about the Denix range of replicas and the new MP 40 blank firer, He amazed me when he stated that it was a legal requirement to have insurances on inert Replicas. I thought this was a bit strange but he assured me it was a legal requirement and did,nt include blank firers as they need a separate certificate . Has anyone else heard of this.I am due to meet him at OD this month for a drink and chin wag and a tour around his group, He owns 30 different weapons from blank firers to replicas, plus very expensive shotguns, he actually has a Purdy side by side double barrel, which I will be seeing at his home in the very near future.

Hi @Davejb, was he talking about Public Liability Insurance?? cos, even with live firers, that's not a legal requirement...it's highly advisable, but not required....I'm insured for up to £10M on my public liability...and £100K for legal fees....

As for blank firers, I've never heard of that in my life...I've got one old friend who does Western re enactment, and the only insurance he has is for damage or theft of the guns and equipment...

I'm in the process of buying a couple of Denix replicas, from a shop.... and no one has mentioned needing any sort of insurance for them...:)

• Upvote 1

I thought the same thing but when I see him at MO ,I,m going to get a full explanation on the Health and Safety side. This guy is pretty well highly regarded, as police bring him firearms that their not sure on, for appraisal.But apparently even for these non firing replicas , you need insurance as a requirement, but I,ll get the full facts in a couple of weeks

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Davejb, I cant really see why you MUST have insurance for non firing replicas....as its not even a legal requirement for live firing guns...BASC are the guys to tell you whats what mate...they really know their stuff...:) I had some concerns about MP5 casings I found on a farm of mine, and called them, they were working on Christmas Day !!!! and dealt with it the same day...:)

Look forward to hearing what this chap says tho...:)

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. I did WW2 living history and reenactments for 20 odd years and never heard of that. Looking forward to hearing the details. 

• Upvote 1

I will be seeing this person on Sunday,  at Oddessy, so I,ll have a chat and see what info I can get.

• Upvote 3

• Major General

Never heard of this either...is he a wind-up merchant or straight as a die? I did reenactment for years also with no problems, but it was a while back when laws were more lax.

Guest Fred Karno's Army
3 minutes ago, Bil4338 said:

Never heard of this either...is he a wind-up merchant or straight as a die? I did reenactment for years also with no problems, but it was a while back when laws were more lax.

Not much they could license with slings and spears back then was there Bill :P;). No I must admit I have never heard of it like mentioned above,it shall be interesting to hear o.O.

• Major General

Slings and spears?O.o were you THAT advanced?:|clubs and rocks were our weapons of choice back in the day...^_^

No he,s not a windup,I cant fully remember what he said he was, but I think it was something like Health and safety executive , for the Re-enactment Groups of UK, I.ll find out more on Sunday. I could have completely misunderstood him, It was at a funeral, and I had my mind on other things

• 3 months later...

Yeah, sort of, the New line of Denix replicas need a certificate,and insurance, they were withdrawn from circulation as they can fire blanks, the non firing ones should be insured as well especially if used in re-enactment. Apparently there is a new law being proposed to the effect that replica firearms will all need a certificate, basically a form of deactivation cert, thats about as much as I can remember as I was three sheets to the wind in the beer tent. A group insurance when using weapons in re-enactment should be in force, but its being proposed that the individual have third party insurance anyway in case of accident, if all that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

What kind of "accident" could one possibly have with a Denix??? It's a gun-shaped lump of pot metal. I suppose one could drop it on his toes, or have hurt feelings...

• Upvote 1

The group insurance part was about in my day and made sense as we did lots of public displays. Why would the individual need insurance if the group is covered as a whole? Unless it's a) away of keeping track of replicas etc, or b) away of making more money. 

A few years ago before the Firearms controversy ...I had a S & Wesson "Dirty Harry" 8 3/8 th Magnum - firing my own loads and the Factory Load...which was phenomenal to fire!

A 357 S & Wesson/  a 38 S & W snub "Saturday Night Special", and an AMT semi-auto .22...+ 400 rounds of ammo, and the .44 Magnum many hollow point copper jackets...devastating to fire into an object...enter the size of the bullet and the exit was the size of a mushroom!!!

Well the Police In Sevenoaks, Kent, I had to take them to the Police Station and they just asked me how much they cost, have I got a receipt, how much was the ammo and loader....So I got a cheques for £650? 2 odd months later .....Just to mention I had no insurance and I don't think back in the mid 80's I could find any company to insure them!

Mind you at the Gaza Gun Club....one member brought in an original WW2 German Machine-Gun a Schmiesser, we had ours "Ears on" and he emptied the whole mag into the target....Fantastic....!!!