WWI Photo Collection

Mitter2k1

Here are a few of my period photos and postcards that I thought you guys would enjoy.

First up is a multi-photo postcard of General George Bell, Jr., commander of the 33rd Division during WWI. I have shown this to a friend of mine and he thinks that it was taken in Luxembourg sometime in April, 1919. There were two reviews done that month and the 33rd was one of them. In the left hand photo, the gentleman with the cup of coffee is Colonel Abel Davis, commander of the 132nd Infantry Regiment. Gen. Bell is in the middle photo and I have not been able to identify the other officers at this time.

Bell12.jpg

Bell121.jpg

Bell122.jpg

Bell123.jpg

• Upvote 2

Next up are some of my unnamed 33rd Division photos. The last studio photo is of a lieutenant in the 131st Infantry Regiment. Though you can't really see it, he has a silver star on his ribbon bar that indicates that he was awarded the Silver Star Citation.

img400.jpgimg401.jpgimg402.jpgimg404.jpg33rdPairEdited.jpgimg403.jpg

• Upvote 3

Next up is Sgt. Arthur F. Frick that served with Headquarters Company, 130th Infantry Regiment, 33rd Division. He was Wounded in Action on November 7, 1918 and cited for Gallantry by Gen. Bell.

Sgt.Frick2.jpgSgt.Frick1.jpg

• Upvote 2

Last up is one of my favorite photos. It has been my profile pic on just about every forum I am a member of and was here until I changed it just a while ago. This is my great-grandfather, Corporal Fred J. Mitts. He served with the 3rd Training Battalion, 11th Company, 161st Depot Brigade at Camp Grant (I believe). I have been told that I kind of look like him hahaha!

Thanks for looking,

Mike

1200.jpg

• Upvote 3

Last one I almost forgot. Here is General Pershing and King George V reviewing the 108th MP Company of the 33rd Division. This photo is in a couple of books and I thought it was pretty neat to get a good shot of a couple of leaders like this.

img405.jpg

• Upvote 3

Thank you guys very much. I have tons of interesting photos and will try to get some of them resized and posted soon. 

Thanks again,

Mike

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Bil4338 said:

Great photos which must be quite scarce.:wow:

Thank you. Some photos can be hard to find such as ID'd and shots of patches for specific units like the 33rd Division above. Most of those photos came from fellow collectors that know I collect this division. However you can find plain, unnamed photos pretty easily on ebay and usually they are pretty cheap. I have a WWI era photo of some British or Commonwealth cavalry guys I will post up later. I suspect they may be Canadian as there were a number of men from this county that went north to join the fight in 1915 and 1916.

Thanks,

Mike

• Upvote 1

Here is a photo that someone here may be able to assist with. I picked this up locally here in Illinois and obviously, they are not American soldiers. It is pretty rough so I attached a zoomed in view as well.

WWIBritishCavalry.jpg

WWIBritishCavalry - Copy (2).jpg

Following up are a few interesting photos I have picked up over the years. The first one is of a Colonel and his grandson. I haven't been able to ID his yet, but I am hoping to come across a named image of his somewhere. The second image is a named photo of a Massachusetts Institute of Technology ROTC cadet. Colonel600.jpgMIT1200.jpg6thDivisionPair.jpg52Eng.jpg313Eng1.jpgCampGrantWinter600.jpgHunters600.jpgJudgeAdv600.jpgWWIMedics.jpg

• Major General
On 25 August 2016 at 00:09, Mitter2k1 said:

Here is a photo that someone here may be able to assist with. I picked this up locally here in Illinois and obviously, they are not American soldiers. It is pretty rough so I attached a zoomed in view as well.

WWIBritishCavalry.jpg

WWIBritishCavalry - Copy (2).jpg

I'd say they are either British or Canadian cavalrymen going by the uniforms, bandoliers and lanyards.

• Upvote 1

That is my thought as well. I can't tell if anything has been painted on the front of the helmet, but I may dig out this photo and scan it at a higher resolution and check.

Thanks

• Major General

Tried to blow the photo up so I could read the lids but it's too indistinct.would really love to know what they say...

• 2 months later...

Absolutely Superb Images...A real reminder of days long past..But the Memory of these Brave Men...rests With Us ALL to Remember Them....Thank You for These ....Desert Rat...IanB