WW2 Mk2 British Helmet...HELP please..:)

Norrie

I bought this helmet VERY cheaply off the bay of evil a few days ago, it was mega cheap on a Buy It Now ( @Fred Karno's Army taught me that...) and it arrived today, it was to be the basis of a lamp...( @Lenny taught me that one ) anyway, scraping the awful repaint job off, not at all worried as its being painted again anyway...and comes across a division flash...so...scraping has halted...I'd only done the rim and one side with a light scraper......anyone help with ID for it ?...it came with a fantastic 50's green strap and their are no dates or stamps that I can see.

100_0148.JPG

100_0149.JPG

100_0150.JPG

100_0151.JPG

Thats the problem when using a scraper, you never know if your destroying underlying details. I use Nitro Moores paint remover, its very harsh but it your careful you can stop the acid effect with water before it goes any deeper, at least that way your not removing something you dont want to. It looks like you,ve taken off the original paint as well , and been lucky enough to see the divisional sign

Hi @Davejb, yep...the helmet was only ever going to be a lamp, and was really, REALLY cheap on the bay, (£7)  so, I was'nt too phased about using a scraper...it was when I started on that side I noticed the different shade of green, I thought it was my eyes going when I saw the diamond shape...their was some red came off on the flakes, but the scrapings are all in the bin now...I've since used a little nail varnish remover ( the wifes, honest ) and finished the diamond shape...no other colours at all.

Tho, under the first coat of puce green their is another darker green, ...its the sandy finish. Then under that is another shade of green closer to the diamond shape in colour...I used NV again on the other side as the puce comes off quite easily, nothing, no diamonod etc...

I have still not found any stamps on the inside of the helmet, but it's painted with a dark brown sandy finish., so, used some NV remover on it, to find a smooth ( like enamelled) khaki finish...

I'm really enjoying this "post mortem" on this old helmet, well worth the £7 I paid for it...:)

A few more pics below ...:)

100_0159.JPG

100_0160.JPG

100_0161.JPG

100_0162.JPG

100_0167.JPG

Hiya, Well, after much trepidation.thanks @Davejb :) .I decided to go ahead with a nitromors adventure,,,and this is what I found.... a 1939 dated Mk2 helmet. with yet another flash on the other side..Red/Blue, tho, not a lot left......this one was under the brown sandy paint, that literally just washed off under a tap of warm water...leaving what you see,,,I've already had a chat with @Fred Karno's Army, and we both came to the decision that it's a Royal Artillery helmet, both flashes were directly under the brown stuff so to speak...under the brown stuff, their are two layers of green paint, then a khaki coat. Inside the helmet, where it was all brown painted, and worn, where you could see the liner marks, once it was removed, the khaki paint was very well rubbed by the previous liner.

So, all in all, a good excercise...and especially as the RA was my grandads regiment...I'll get an early liner for it, I have a chinstrap here...,..and add it to the "Grandad " collection...:)

100_0191.JPG

100_0193.JPG

100_0195.JPG

100_0197.JPG

100_0199.JPG

100_0200.JPG

100_0202.JPG

100_0203.JPG

100_0207.JPG

• Upvote 1

Pleased it worked for you,theres nothing like finding hidden marks under paint that should,nt be there.What ever you do never use something like WD40 on helmets, the oil actually softens paint plus there is a great deal of water in the formula, its great in helping to remove rust provided its cleaned thoroughly afterwards

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Davejb, First time, and it turned out not too bad if I say so myself...:). I damped a rag with 3in 1 oil, and gave it a wipe, then wiped it dry!!!! Arghhhh...No more tho...just some Mr Sheen in future...:)

Yep, it was really exciting finding those flashes....particularly my grandads old regt...the helmet will now hang with his "Battledress" I made for my grandson...:)

Seeing its a display helmet only, why not try Renaissance Wax, its used by collectors all over, Museums also use it. I believe Lenny uses it as well

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Davejb said:

Seeing its a display helmet only, why not try Renaissance Wax, its used by collectors all over, Museums also use it. I believe Lenny uses it as well

I'll go order it right now...thanks @Davejb...much appreciated...:)

• Field Marshall
3 hours ago, Davejb said:

I'm a big fan of Renaissance Wax... :)

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Lenny said:

I'm a big fan of Renaissance Wax... :)

I ordered a 200ml jar/tin/bottle of it @Lenny...should be here soon...should I apply  it to all of my helmets?? 

If you intend to keep all your helmets, theres no reason why you should,nt, but some collectors like their helmets in untouched condition, so if you,re going to sell them on you will have to remove the wax carefully, or at least declare they have wax on, which could affect value to some die hards

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Davejb said:

If you intend to keep all your helmets, theres no reason why you should,nt, but some collectors like their helmets in untouched condition, so if you,re going to sell them on you will have to remove the wax carefully, or at least declare they have wax on, which could affect value to some die hards

Hi @Davejb, I'll be keeping the helmets for at least the very forseeable future...but cannot guarantee they will still be with me wayyy in the future...just the way of things,,... So, I'll maybe just leave them "as is" so to speak, as it's good advice I have had from you guys in the past.....:)

• Field Marshall

Here's the thing, if kept in stable temperature and humidity, you shouldn't see any degradation. Remember it's taken 70 years to get to this stage... ;)

If in doubt, do nowt... ;)

• Upvote 1