Forgotten Lunatics of the Great War

Guest Fred Karno's Army

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I have just purchased a copy of this book,I had never heard of it before until a friend mentioned it in passing.Should be an illuminating read as I am affected by the modern day version (PTSD). Luckily things have advanced in treatments,I can only imagine what those poor buggers had to cope with many times alone without treatment.And alas today too many still do. :(

image.jpeg

Their was a documentary on STV a while ago about soldiers of the Great War with shell shock...it mainly centered on a famous writer/poet who suffered,...I forget his name right now.

As an aside, my grandad suffered from Shell Shock during WW2, seemingly ( I only recently was told this by my dad) he was on the heavy AA guns in Londons East End during the Blitz, and his whole gun crew apart from him were killed when a bomb landed near their post..( I have a picture of them all before that awful night)......after some recuperation, he was moved to the South Coast to defend against a possible invasion, then onto Scapa...

• Upvote 1

My Grandfather who I never knew, was apparently caught in a bombardment during WW1 out in France, He returned home supposedly OK, but over the years before he died, he displayed all the signs of shell shock,even if a door slammed , he would duck and shake until he could get to a bottle of whiskey, that was the only thing that helped him, being friendly drunk, but never violent

• Upvote 2

• Major General

My Grandfather was a police driver and ferried the bigwigs around Glasgow and Clydebank during the Blitz (yes, it did occur outside London & Coventry!!).what he saw and experienced unnerved him so much he transferred to the Home Guard for a quieter life.for all I know he could've been a sufferer too.he was certainly a curmudgeonly and uncommunicative character with an unnerving disposition.us kids were hushed up if we ever made too much noise around him, whereupon he'd tell us to shut up.always thought he was a very grumpy old man who never gave us any attention.perhaps he had some real inner demons which ate away at him but he was too proud to seek any kind of help, which probably wouldn't have been available in these days anyway.

I will add, he was one of the first tank men in WW1.rose through the ranks to Captain after enlisting in the Machine Gun Corps.what he must've been through then would probably warp him for life.

makes you think...

• Upvote 2

Guest Fred Karno's Army

I have just started reading this now in Ernest and its eye opening to say the least,the amount of  pre war asylum inmates allowed to rally to the call is absolutely staggering :(,and until 1916 the 'shell shocked' troops were just put back into the lunatic system,no pension or recognition in anyway or form.Terrible,it's a very humble and thought provoking book.

• 2 months later...
Guest Fred Karno's Army

Just finished this today.

All I can say is if you see a copy,pick it up.Harrowing and very,very thought provoking.10/10

For all those that added their own experiences from their Grandfathers, Great Grandfathers of  the terrible suffering of shell shock...and those down to our day, that have suffered the terrible trauma of this, we now understand far better than those who suffered from it horrifically during and after "The Great war".... all the mental turmoil that you have and are going through...Our thoughts and hopes are with you ALL...Today for a full Recovery.!!! 

• Upvote 1