My Grandad WW2 Royal Artillery

Norrie

Just a quick note, am really chuffed just now...:) Had a mail from my aunt in the US, who I'm visiting in a few weeks, she found my Grandfathers Royal Artillery shoe brush ( her dad) and grampa being the type of guy he was, has written his rank and serial number on the side of it...so....NOW, National Archives here I come...Ya wee beauty...I'll report back about this...:)

grampas shoe brush.jpg

• Upvote 2

• Major General

Nice...but felt tip pen in WW2? That's what it looks like, unless I'm VERY badly mistaken...could've been a retrospective addition, kind of in memory of comradely times...

• Upvote 1

Aye, agree, it is his RA issue brush,with the arrow etc.... but he added his serial number a few years before he died...I think it was a sort of "reliving" his past cos at the time, I got his medal box with the slips in it..( No medals) .that has his rank and serial number on it too......she has some other stuff for me too...mainly to do with my uncle Jackie, the Mossie pilot...seemingly after Jackies mum died ( my maternal gran) my paternal grandad was asked if their were any items of Jackies he wanted...and now I'm getting them...:)

Edited by Norrie
  • Upvote 2

• 9 months later...

Well,

I have my Dad's boot brush that he carried from the Western Desert, through to Sicily, Italy, Normandy, Belgium, Holland and into Germany with his initials burnt into it with a piece of steel/ screwdriver?.....Bloody Hell...I never realised I had this until you guys mentioned it....Must find it and add to his collection he brought back, Desert Goggles, Small truncheon, leather purse, money and paper money from the countries he went through..etc....I sold his x6 wine glasses he got in Germany and the "Mein Kamp book...aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhh......What an idiot to sell these!

Thanks to you all....& Best Wishes....Desert Rat