Kriegsmarine Blue Summer tunic

christiandbn

Dear All,

Recently I've got my hands on this Kriegmarine summer tunic, based on the white uniform. The colour is dark navy, not black. I have seen these in brown, white and field gray, but never in blue-gray. Can anyone shed some more light into the use of this tunic? 

asset.JPGasset.JPGasset.JPG

• Upvote 2

@Lenny,yours is a Ground Armed Forces (WH or WSS) first model lightweight tunic whereas Chris' looks like a tunic for the "Floating Guys" or for the Kustenartillerie!

Problem is that while you've posted a lot of interesting and detailed pictures that will reveal a lot if interesting features and details the ones posted by my good friend Chris are definitely NOT enough to say anything definite about his tunic!

Cheers

Manu

• Upvote 1

@Lenny, thanks for sharing this. How would you judge the colour of the tunic? Is it black or very dark blue / green?

@Manu Della Valle, I am away from the tunic for a few days, but I will definitely post some more pictures when I can. The person I got it from said it was most likely used by an officer on-board a Schnell boot, but never seen any documentation or photos that actually prove this. 

P.S. I didn't bother posting very clear photos of the tunic since I am not concern about the authenticity but would like to know what the most likely occasion where this was in use.

Edited by christiandbn

Hi Chris,

sorry,I had forgot you asked about its use!IMO it could and would have been used in a million occasions!For starters I'm always wary of KM tunics with metal eagles because even if it was a practice followed by a awful lot of LM guys I'd rather see the tunics with their sewn on insignia and original shoulder boards!In my opinion just about anyone within the KM could have worn this tunic but I'd recommend you the three books by J.Angolia on the Uniforms And Traditions of the Kriegsmarine!They're somewhat hard to come by but very,very useful!Its being blue would lead us to believe it could have been worn by a crew member but even by a Kustenartillerist for that matters!

Cheers

Manu

Edited by Manu Della Valle

• Field Marshall
9 hours ago, christiandbn said:

@Lenny, thanks for sharing this. How would you judge the colour of the tunic? Is it black or very dark blue / green?

@Manu Della Valle, I am away from the tunic for a few days, but I will definitely post some more pictures when I can. The person I got it from said it was most likely used by an officer on-board a Schnell boot, but never seen any documentation or photos that actually prove this. 

P.S. I didn't bother posting very clear photos of the tunic since I am not concern about the authenticity but would like to know what the most likely occasion where this was in use.

I'd call it a dark grey-green...

Unfortunately nothing in those books @Manu Della Valle. I even tried looking in the  Brown uniform section but nothing specific. The closest is that there were dyed uniforms in the cut of the white tunic, but the book only mentions the gray green one and the tropical uniform. 

Will post some better photos later on.