Operation Frankton

Davejb

Just watched a fascinating programme about the above operation, in short the Cockleshell Heroes. Introduced by MP Paddy Ashdown, who is ex SBS, It explained how the plan was conceived, who ordered it, the preparations, who all the crews were, and the leader Haslet. There is only one surviving member of the team now and although he underwent all the training, he was considered spare man, therefore did,nt go on the raid, instead he helped to prepare all the canoes , explosives, supplies etc. What no-one realised was that SOE and Combined Ops, never cooperated or shared planned operations. SOE had already parachuted agents into France and were actually at the port of Bordeux before the raid even began. SOEs task was virtually the same as the canoe raiders, to blow up the blockade runners at berth.The struggle that Haslet and his team, endured before even getting to the port was incredible.Only four men conducted the raid, planted the explosives and got away back into the estuary , however they split up and the the only two to actually make it back were Haslet and his team mate, all the others were either captured and executed or lost at sea. It was hailed as a complete success but in reality it has since been regarded as one of the biggest MOD cock ups at that time. In order that no such future missions were replicated, a special dept was set up to ensure this could not happen again. SOE could have completed the mission without any loss of life, as it was already planned that explosives were to be taken on board the ships by legally employed dock workers, who were due to carry out repairs. As in all these things ,films are made and one such was The Cockleshell Heroes. the only true facts in the film was that two men survived and the others executed, but not as a whole section of men, they were executed all over the place seprately. Paddy Ashdown actually met Haslet on a train en route to rejoin the SBS, and did,nt know who he was, he more or less blanked him when a conversation started much to his lasting regrets.

• Major General

Who blanked who? Ashdown blanked Haslet or vice versa?

great story nevertheless!

Ashdown blanked Haslet, mainly because Haslet started to ask questions as to what mob Ashdown was in, being SBS there was a bit of suspicion, Unknown to Ashdown, Haslet more or less was one of the first true SBS members, and a decorated hero

• Upvote 1

Just for historical accuracy gents and not wanting to appear a pain in the a**e......Op Franktons' leader, was Major " Blondie" HASLER.

In 2012 and to mark the 70th anniversary, myself and a mate mounted a small Museum display in the Heritage Museum, Dunoon , Argyll. We had carried out quite a bit of research on the Operation. What many people didn't realise was that, although the Boom Patrol were based and trained off South sea, Hants, final preparations took place on the Holy Loch, Argyll....about 4 miles from Dunoon. The Submarine HM Tuna, which was used in the Operation, also departed from this location as it was part of the Flotilla based on the Isle of Rothesay. My mate built a full size replica canoe and a 5ft version for me. What he hadn't realised at the time was that Hasler had travelled from Portsmouth to Argyll , prior to final preparations to discuss the operation with Submarine Planners and had taken a "5FT" model with him.

As well as this display we managed to highlight the Loch and Dunoon's part in the Operation to the Local Community and were successful in having a memorial stone added to the existing War memorial pillar at Lazaretto Point, overlooking the Loch. It was dedicated on the 11.11.2012. Blondie Hasler's wife ( who lived in Scotland ) sent a letter of goodwill and members of Marine Ewart's family (also living in Scotland) were in attendance. They were delighted that finally a memorial had been erected in Scotland. Prior to this they had to travel to France for commemorations or to Portsmouth.

We had a discussion re Paddy Ashdown. The documentary about Frankton was aired to coincide with the Anniversary and to publicise Ashdown's book. I wrote to him in advance asking if he could clarify certain issues.......He did reply but made no comment and advised me to buy his book. Interestingly, he had also attended a new memorial dedication in Portsmouth a few weeks before ours. Marine Ewart's relatives had been there. Paddy Ashdown knew who they were.....yet he STILL charged them for buying his book. They weren't impressed, nor was I. A few weeks later he was in Pitlochry, promoting the book......needless to say we didn't attend. Pretty poor show really.

Anyway, I thought you might like to see some pics from our display/the dedication/memorial and us testing the canoe in the water....My mate isn't a boat builder...he was delighted.

Our venture to highlight the Operation did receive some local coverage and appeared in some local mags. We thought it had been a worthwhile exercise.

PS....."The man who never was" (Operation Mincemeat)  also left from the Holy Loch, aboard HMS Seraph!

cockle 001 - Copy.JPG

catchelot 001.JPG

My Cockleshell Impression (26).JPG

Various 021.JPG

Various 022.JPG

DSCN0620.JPG

Various 024.JPG

Various 025.JPG

for website.jpg

DSCN0672.JPG

DSCN0700.JPG

DSCN0701.JPG

• Upvote 4

My eyes must be playing me up, Why I,ve put a T instead of an R, I have no idea, perhaps its me big hands and fingers,,,,nice follow up though , thanks Libertesoe

• Major General

Absolutely fantastic story, total and complete dedication to that particular event in time.I can only sit here in complete admiration for everything done in this thread!

great to see a commemorative plaque set in its rightful place too.

...and I've always thought P. Ashdown was a total arse, so much up himself to the point of vomiting....

• Upvote 1

Personally  I would like to see all that took part receive some award or other, I think that everyone on the raid knew there was very little chance of getting back home, or even surviving, yet they took it on with complete disregard for their own safety and chances of success, that to me is the epitomey of a true hero

• Upvote 2

I agree @davejb...they all most certainly deserved some official recognition. ....I also meant to add that Paddy Ashdown charged the Ewart family for a book after having screwed as much information from them as was possible for use in his book. Jolly decent eh>:(.

• Upvote 1

Typical politician, get as much info from someone and use it for their own ends, not surprising really

• Upvote 1